Mary's Reviews > Why Men Love Bitches: From Doormat to Dreamgirl - A Woman's Guide to Holding Her Own in a Relationship

Why Men Love Bitches by Sherry Argov

Nov 22, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: love-and-dating
Read in November, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The one redeeming quality about this book is that the author even remotely addresses the issue of self-respect. The rest of it is rather craptastic, in my opinion. She is contradictory and focuses more on trying to tell women how to appear than to really encourage women to grow and become mature enough to stand up for themselves instead of putting up with poor treatment by men.

The notion of being a "bitch" has mild entertainment value--it's her unique take on things and that is fine. But towards the end she says that the ultimate thing to be is a high maintenance bitch. Don't get me wrong--I'm all about making my man prove himself and toil a bit for me. But the last time I checked, no man I know has ever said he wanted a high maintenance bitch. In fact, all the men I know who have dated high maintenance bitches have dumped said bitches. It's terrible advice on the part of the author and I hope that most women are able to see that the best way to find a good man is to be yourself, be kind, know your wants & needs and make sure they are met (no one else will ensure this but you), and otherwise follow your gut.

I could cite many other examples of bad advice in this book but I think it's best to say that if you want to read some poor literature and be entertained then this book may be for you; however, if you actually need better advice than this, I recommend "If I'm So Wonderful, Why Am I Still Single?" (Horrible title, but great advice!) Even "He's Just Not That Into You" has better advice than this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Men Love Bitches.

08/03/2016 marked as: read