Beanbag Love's Reviews > Don't Tempt Me

Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase

Nov 24, 09

Read in November, 2009

This isn't the best Loretta Chase book, but it's certainly not near the worst. It's actually very enjoyable. The end peters out a bit strangely, but overall this book was much better than I thought it would be based on other reviews I've seen.

Lucien and Zoe are a really great couple. Chase does her patented and peerless manipulation of the reader to make a hero who is a paradigm of lazy, arrogant, selfishness actually lovable. The specifics fill out the model and you just have to feel for the guy in so many ways. He's amusing, sexy, and needs a hug. Only he's in denial about the hug part.

Zoe is precocious, but has some very amusing moments as well. Raised from the age of twelve in a harem after being kidnapped while traveling with her parents, she's relearning the little she knew of British society before her abduction, and heaping on top of that all the new knowledge that a woman of 24 will be needing. She has problems with her inhibitions and loose tongue and some of the most hilarious terms for male and female genitalia I've read, as well. And, yes, she's still a virgin. The explanation for this is decently believable, so don't think it'll take you out of the story when you get to that part.

As I said, there's an odd petering out at the end. I can't explain it. There are things happening that should seem like an adventurous climax, but it just wasn't pulling me in. It wasn't awful by any means. I enjoyed the book as a whole very, very much. It's just something I can't quite put my finger on. I also wish there had been an epilogue. I often wish that. Maybe I'm spoiled, but they are a couple that one simply must see as parents.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Tempt Me.

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina "...overall this book was much better than I thought it would be based on other reviews I've seen."

Rane Awesome Review Bean!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Great review, Beanbag. You have a way with words.

Beanbag Love Dina wrote: "Good to know, Beanbag, because I've also read many "bad" reviews on this book. You know, it's strange how I've only read 2 books and 1 novella by LC so far. I loved them, so why haven't I read more? Must. Fix. This. Soon. "

Thanks, Dina! I do love Ms. Chase. What books have you read? I can give you some recs. Like all authors she has a couple of duds and I'd hate for you to get the wrong idea. :D

Beanbag Love Rane wrote: "Awesome Review Bean!"

Thanks, Rane. :D

Beanbag Love Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Great review, Beanbag. You have a way with words."

Oh, goodness. *blushes* That's a great compliment coming from the Book Huntress herself. Thanks!

message 7: by Dina (new)

Dina Beanbag wrote: "I do love Ms. Chase. What books have you read? I can give you some recs. Like all authors she has a couple of duds and I'd hate for you to get the wrong idea. :D"

Beanbag Love Dina wrote: "I've read Lord of Scoundrels, The Last Hellion, and the novella 'The Mad Earl's Bride' (from the anthology Three Weddings and a Kiss). They were all winners to me, and I need more. ;)"

Well, you've probably already seen all the great reviews for Mr. Impossible. That's the second book in the Carsington series, which consists of four books. The next one is Lord Perfect, which I also love. And then Not Quite a Lady, which has an implausible twist, but I loved it anyway. The first book of the series, Miss Wonderful, was a dud, I thought. I just didn't feel much for either lead, so I think it's very skippable. The following three books are just fine without it.

message 9: by Dina (new)

Dina Beanbag wrote: "So: Mr. Impossible, Lord Perfect, and then Not Quite a Lady are the three I would recommend."

Thanks, Beanbag! I really appreciate your recommendation. :) Now, let me see if I can beat my OCD to a pulp and skip Miss Wonderful...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Dina wrote: "Beanbag wrote: "I do love Ms. Chase. What books have you read? I can give you some recs. Like all authors she has a couple of duds and I'd hate for you to get the wrong idea. :D"

I've read [book:L..."

Those are my favorites by her Dina!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Beanbag wrote: "Dina wrote: "I've read Lord of Scoundrels, The Last Hellion, and the novella 'The Mad Earl's Bride' (from the anthology Three Weddings and a Kiss). They were all winners to me, and I need more. ;)"..."

Beanbag Love Danielle "Unfortunately I felt Miss Wonderful was rather blah for the great Ms. Chase. I like to excuse her by saying that it was her practice book after eight years off from writing. "

What is it about that book? I've seen a couple people who have liked it but many who felt very 'blah' like you and I did. Strange.

BTW -- I didn't know that about taking 8 years off. Yeah, I could see Miss Wonderful as the cobweb duster. :D

message 13: by Dina (new)

Dina Beanbag wrote: "But really, Dina. All these books live on their own. That's another great thing about Chase. Even within a series each book truly could be a one-shot."

I think I'll be able to read these books independently... I didn't read the 1st 2 books in the Scoundrels series and that was perfectly OK, so not all is lost. :)

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (last edited Nov 25, 2009 10:28AM) (new) - added it

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Cobweb duster. LOL. I like that. Yes, she took a long hiatus. I was watching for more books after LOS, and I heard one rumor that she retired from writing. Thank God that turned out not to be the case.

Beanbag Love Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Cobweb duster. LOL. I like that. Yes, she took a long hiatus. I was watching for more books after LOS, and I heard one rumor that she retired from writing. Thank God that turned out not to be the case."

I agree! I just love her work. When it's off, it's still not too bad, but when it's on, it's some of the best stuff out there. I'm glad I discovered her after the hiatus was over.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I agree. Even her okay books are better than a lot of them. :)

message 17: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay Wonderful review, Beanbag! I just got Miss Wonderful for a clean-up your series challenge. Man-oh-man! I wish I had read this review and comments first.