Gail Carriger's Reviews > Tempest Rising

Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

Dec 29, 2009

bookshelves: author-friends, comic, fantasy, vampires
Read in December, 2009 — I own a copy , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Jane lives in a small town that hates her, with lesbian best friends, an abandonment complex, and unexpected heritage swimming her direction. Sometimes she acts dumb, and I wondered if this was realistic (how would I treat a dead body?) or plot artifice. The book's language is light and comfortable with humorous threads throughout making it a genuinely joyful read.

Notes & More Personal Thoughts
WARNING, SOME VERY MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD
I really enjoyed this book but I have some tiny quibbles. A few small town hiccoughs worried me. I grew up in one in California (not Maine), and there is no "police" there's one or two guys from the next slightly-larger-town-over and they're called by their names, as in Sheriff Bob. But maybe things are different out on the East Coast. I also found the constant modern-culture references a little distracting. I might not have noticed if I hadn't read this same objection in someone else's review. But, see above about my avoiding contemporary settings as a rule.

Here's what I loved.
1.) Nicole has this awesome casual writing style that just makes the book so darn easy to read (and not it the dumb-down vocabulary kid's meaning of the term "easy"). There's no work to reading it and I love love love that. I'm so tired to books that self-consciously remind me I'm reading them. Oh, you know what I mean. This one just moves along, like a movie, no concentration needed, and that is a really good thing. So comfortable was I, in fact, I didn't even notice until page 94 that it was written in first person, which I normally don't like.
2.) From knowing Nicole online I wasn't surprised about this next point, but there's a metric ton of humor bubbling throughout Tempest Rising. Much chortling resulted.
3.) And she gives us (my personal favorite) some seriously fabulous characters of doom! There's Grizelda the drag queen trapped in a lesbian's body (named after a character from Cats?), Anyan the hellhound with a thing for naked half-selkies, Ryu the vampire in tweed and white shoes (hot, but I'm sorry True-honey, so fricking gay), Russ the shape-shifter who's retired to life as a pet dachshund, Miss Carol who may be some distant progeny of Miss Ivy Hisselpenny's, and, of course, Jane herself. I found myself getting a little sad when we left the colorful cornucopia behind and had to get on with sex and plot and such. I could read a gossip column from the local paper just about these characters.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest Rising.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Heather I'm reading this now, and love it. It's similar to the Sookie Stackhouse books in terms of general theme and the infusion of humor. I love that Nicole gave Jane such a clear voice; her familiar way of narrating the story reminded me of conversations I've had with friends (her use of silly slang words, for example, was very conversational). Definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.