Gail Carriger's Reviews > Sorcery & Cecelia

Sorcery & Cecelia by Patricia C. Wrede

Dec 05, 12

bookshelves: comic, fantasy, favorites, historical, soulless-research, ya
Read in January, 1994 — I own a copy, read count: 100

One of my all time favorite books, Sorcery and Cecelia started out as a letter game between two brilliant writers. The authors clearly enjoyed themselves and the resulting novel is a joy to read, both as a story and as a window into the fun experienced by to marvelous authors.

Set in Austen-like 1817 England, which just happens to have some very polite magic rolling around, the plot is largely driven by excellent characterization, two strong heroines, and a great deal of humor. There are several ditty-like romances, and a tidy little ending that makes for an amuse-bouche of a read - tasty and bite sized. There are two follow up books, however, this one stands beautifully alone. Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sorcery & Cecelia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Morgan I've just started this book and already love it- so British and cute! I like the letter format. When I first read the synopsis, it reminded me of your books so I was excited to see how much you loved it! I can see some of the similarities :)

Gail Carriger I'm delighted you are enjoying it. I love the ending too, so I hope you will.

Morgan wrote: "I've just started this book and already love it- so British and cute! I like the letter format. When I first read the synopsis, it reminded me of your books so I was excited to see how much you lov..."

Alex Fayle This is one of my desert-island books. When I moved from Canada to Spain, it was one of the handfull of physical books that survived the purge.

Gail Carriger Yes, it's one of those books I could never get rid of!

Alex wrote: "This is one of my desert-island books. When I moved from Canada to Spain, it was one of the handfull of physical books that survived the purge."