Venessa's Reviews > The Great Perhaps

The Great Perhaps by Joe Meno

201787
Nov 25, 09

Read in November, 2009 — I own a copy

"Beneath all of her thoughts and worries, beneath the complication of conflicting identities and needs, maybe it's as simple as loving the way some other person looks when they're sleeping."

Would give it 4 and 1/2 if it existed; not quite a 5 because I'm not sure even Meno can live up to the brilliant high school angst and heartbreak that is one of my favorites: Hairstyles of the Damned!

Jonathan has a unique problem: he faints whenever he sees a cloud, or something in the shape of a cloud, or even a great big white SUV which makes him think of a cloud. Yet, he hates to take his anti-seizure medication because it makes him feel like he's in a cloud. One day he's on an outing to the zoo with his family, wife Madeline and two children, Amelia and Thisbe, and lapses into a seizure, throwing the family into a tailspin and possible destruction.

The tale is told mainly in five different points of view: the family above and Jonathan's father, Henry. Meno examines what courage is in this novel, evident in the brief chapters told from generations past in Jonathan's family.

Amelia and Thisbe's chapters were my favorites: Meno does a superb job of capturing what it is like to be in high school, trying to discover your identity, trying to not care what others think of you (but of course you do).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Perhaps.

Quotes Venessa Liked

Joe Meno
“Beneath all of her thoughts and worries, beneath the complication of conflicting identities and needs, maybe it's as simple as loving the way some other person looks when they're sleeping.”
Joe Meno, The Great Perhaps