Gail Carriger's Reviews > Chalice

Chalice by Robin McKinley

Nov 09, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, ya
Read in January, 2009 — I own a copy

In Robin McKinley's Chalice, Mirasol the beekeeper holds her alternative medieval manor house together through the rituals of Chalice.

Not quite McKinley's usual funny witty retold fairytale, the pacing is a bit slow and repetitive at times, but the writing is stellar and very lyrical, almost as though McKinley has her McKillip hat on.

It's now been a few years since I first read this book and the memory of it still lingers on, but I do continually forget that it's not a McKillip offering. I wonder, if I hadn't been surprised by how unlike the usual McKinley it was, if I might not have liked it more?

This review based on an ARC received when I was reviewing for the Horn Book Guide.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chalice.

Tiffany Adams Pegasus was one of the BEST YA epic fantasy reads I've come across in a very long time. She's such a good writer, but I didn't care for Chalice much. Now that you mention McKillip, I can definitely see the similarities!

Eric Jackson I will agree that the pacing is languid and slower than some of of her other books, more a ballad. It is one of my favorites

Gail Carriger It's funny how an authors tone can change so much between books.

Eric wrote: "I will agree that the pacing is languid and slower than some of of her other books, more a ballad. It is one of my favorites"