Stephen's Reviews > The American Civil War: A Military History

The American Civil War by John Keegan

2059576
Dec 11, 09

Read in December, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Civil War.

11/22/2009 page 46

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Thanks for the recommendation. I've read a fair amount of Keegan, but I've become more skeptical given his strong endorsement of the war in Iraq.

Stephen Yes, that bothered me too. Still, this book is starting off in a way that no other history of the Civil War ever has...objectively.

message 3: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W Stephen wrote: "Yes, that bothered me too. Still, this book is starting off in a way that no other history of the Civil War ever has...objectively."

"NO" other history has started off objectively? Or did I misunderstand. Having read many multi-volume histories (Foote's remains a favorite) I still have to wonder if preserving the "union" an artificial construct of there ever was one, was worth the millions killed directly and indirectly. Personally, I've always thought we'd be better off without Mississippi. (That's a JOKE, people)

Stephen It's hard to say, but any American writer is going to bring his own thoughts,and opinions into the narration. It is inevitable. At least I think it is.