Christine E.'s Reviews > Olive Kitteridge

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

208425
Nov 22, 09

Read in November, 2009

I admired the writing (beautiful sentences, etc), and I think Olive Kitteridge herself is an interesting character. But I didn't quite feel like I knew her at the end, or that her character arc was sufficiently satisfying. I didn't like her, but that's not the problem. Several books I've absolutely loved center around characters I'd never want to hang out with! Also, I found it more difficult to keep track of all the characters than I'd have thought from such a slim book.

Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for this one. I have a feeling I might like it a lot better when I reread it in a few years, and there are few books I've given less than a 4 star rating to that I would even consider re-reading.

(Edited to add the following after reading David Giltinan's review)

David wrote: But don't buy for an instant the spurious notion that a collection of linked short stories can be considered a novel.

I think that was the problem for me. It didn't hang together well enough to be a novel, and I was nearly done with it before I realized I needed to stop trying to think of it as one. If I'd gone into it expecting a short story collection, I would have liked it better. I'll keep that in mind when I re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olive Kitteridge.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julie I completely agree!