Manda's Reviews > Close Range: Brokeback Mountain and Other stories

Close Range by Annie Proulx

Mar 18, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read on March 17, 2011

These stories take some time to adjust to. When I started reading them my flesh would crawl, and I could think of no reason why anyone would chose to live in such an inhospitable place as Wyoming. But I adjusted, and aclimatised, and began to enjoy the rhythm of the stories, and to be less alientated by the people, and to begin to empathise with them. The book rose to a climax in the story which was turned into the film Brokeback Mountain.

At first I thought that I would struggle to finish the book, and even reached for it at night with a small shudder of dread, but I ended up looking forward to dropping into such a different world.

The writing is just brilliant, and so economical and evocative.

The reason why I didn't give 5 stars is because nothing pleasant happened in this book. Nothing even remotely pleasant. I got used to it - but even in Wyoming some nice things must happen sometimes!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close Range.

Manda These stories are great, but they are not comfortable reading, and I have discovered that I cannot cope with too much of Wyoming in one go, so this book will be on the go for a while.