Maciek's Reviews > By the Light of the Moon

By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz

Sep 19, 10

bookshelves: owned-books, own-in-paperback, read-in-2009
Read in January, 2007, read count: 2

Dean Koontz can be described as the Slim Jim of popular fiction. Each one tastes exactly like your last Slim Jim, so you know precisely what you're getting. They aren't really very good for you and when you think about it you might come to a realization that they're mostly crap..but that doesn't stop you from getting another Slim Jim.

"By The Light of The Moon" was written in 2002 and is a classic Koontz chase novel. The story is bananas; Dylan O'Connor and his autistic brother, Shepherd, check into a hotel on their way to one of Dylan's art shows. There they are assaulted by a mad scientist who injects Dylan with "stuff" and escapes, fearing people who are chasing him to destroy his "life's work". Another hotel guest, Jillian Jackson, a travelling comedian is assaulted by the same doctor and injected with the same stuff. Shortly after, Jillian meets with the O' Connor brothers, they all witness the mad doctor exploding in his suv, and from that moment on they're on the run from the guys who were chasing the doctor and at the same time began to experience the effect of their injections.

The best thing about this novel is the fact that it moves along at a breakneck pace. Opening with Dylan's assault, the action never slows - instead it picks up, as the "stuff" begins to play its part. I've seen an interview with Koontz where he states that he wanted to write a book where the heroes would always be on the run, and this is it. Koontz makes you turn the page to see what happens next - and that's what we all expect from him, don't we?

The characters are pretty much standard Koontz, though they're nowhere as irritating as some of his creations - I'd even say they're sympathetic. The standard strong male figure (Dylan), accompanied by a witty female (Jillian) and are accompanied by Dylan's autistic brother, Shep. Koontz took a risk by writing an autistic character; however Shep doesn't slow down the story, instead only adds to the suspense. How do you run from evil killers when your autistic brother doesn't want to go from one place to another? Read and find out.

Another pleasant factor is that the narration follows only Dylan and Jilly exclusively. Koontz likes to switch the narration by moving frequently between a large cast of characters, some of whom are completely uninteresting. Not so in this case; Dylan and Jilly are on the run from the same evil and it's an interesting perspective to see how the same events look through the eyes of both characters.

The biggest flaw of the book is, traditionally, the ending. Koontz loves to write himself into a paper bag and then come out with some retarded solution to get his characters out of trouble( look, it's a bi-WHAM!). However, the ride preceeding it is really interesting and captivating enough, and at some points even touching so let's forgive old Dean this one time. We wanted a thrill ride; we got it.

"By The Light of The Moon" is not one of Dean Koontz's most popular novels, but it's certainly one of the most fast-paced. If you're in for a long drive/flight and you have this book you might consider packing it with you, as I think it will make your journey much more pleasant. It's one tasty Slim Jim.

PS. The Bantam edition has a beautiful cover. Even if you don't like the story you have to admit that the cover is gorgeous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Light of the Moon.

01/28/2010 page 120
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jason "plasborgma" Cooperrider A Slim Jim. Even a vegetarian like me can appreciate that metaphor. :-)

Maciek Is there a vegetarian equivalent of a Slim Jim? Slim Bean for example?

Jason "plasborgma" Cooperrider Maciek wrote: "Is there a vegetarian equivalent of a Slim Jim? Slim Bean for example?"

I wish. :-(

Maciek Oh well. You can always go full natural and eat a carrot.

Jason "plasborgma" Cooperrider Maciek wrote: "Oh well. You can always go full natural and eat a carrot."

Perhaps even a Slim Jim-flavored carrot, with the necessary genetic engineering.

Maciek And green would be its color!