Trice's Reviews > A Hat Full of Sky

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

Jul 12, 15

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, 2010, 2008, childrens-ya, 2015
Read from July 09 to 12, 2015 — I own a copy, read count: 3

Why do I love thee, Terry Pratchett? Let me count the ways. It's the blending of poetry and satire, of honesty and magic. It's that seeking after the truth and the heart of the matter. And I've lost my thoughts, my sense of analysis here, because I'm still lost in this story. I just want to quote the last page because it truly is a heart of life... but then that might be a spoiler for some, while for others, they simply wouldn't be able to understand the depth of meaning in the small actions there. So I'll just go back to my dreaminess and see if my hat is full of stars as well, the wind blowing past and roots sunk deep, deep down into the warm earth below.

2nd read April 1, 2010
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hat Full of Sky.

Quotes Trice Liked

Terry Pratchett
“Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”

Terry Pratchett
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”

Terry Pratchett
“Do you know what it feels like to be aware of every star, every blade of grass? Yes. You do. You call it 'opening your eyes again.' But you do it for a moment. We have done it for eternity. No sleep, no rest, just endless... endless experience, endless awareness. Of everything. All the time. How we envy you, envy you! Lucky humans, who can close your minds to the endless deeps of space! You have this thing you call... boredom? That is the rarest talent in the universe! We heard a song — it went 'Twinkle twinkle little star....' What power! What wondrous power! You can take a billion trillion tons of flaming matter, a furnace of unimaginable strength, and turn it into a little song for children! You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your minds, and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!”

Terry Pratchett
“Even if it's not your fault, it's your responsibility.”