Trice's Reviews > Snow Crash

Nov 21, 2009

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, 2012, transport2012, sff-bkclub
Recommended to Trice by: Jonathan Ch in 2004
Read from September 17 to October 05, 2012 — I own a copy

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! the idea/character/idea/character/idea/... -driven adrenaline rush that this book is!

update 2012/10/09: well, okay, it's lots more than an adrenaline rush... er... well, actually it's all the thought provoking stuff that multiplies the impact of the general adrenaline rush. Anyway, I was just this moment reading a short meditation on the Tower of Babel and found it especially thought-provoking in reflecting back a few days on Snow Crash which is a sci fi cyberpunk escapade of a book centered around linguistics, or at least the origins of all human languages (very very basically), the impact of languages, and the hacker relationship therewith. Stephenson takes a materialist perspective on religion in general and on the Tower of Babel specifically, seeing it (the story of the ToB) (view spoiler). There's a collision between the above mentioned blog post and Stephenson's climactic point, that the Tower of Babel saved humanity, but there is a contrast in the conclusions as to what they were saved from and, that ever biggest question, why.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Crash.

09/17/2012 page 75
16.0% "how was it again that it took me this long to get to Snow Crash???? known about it for 10 years now (thank you, Jon), bought a copy on my 2010 trip to the US, but only started it on the bus today. I have been sucked into the Metaverse... although some bits remind me of LambdaMOO, makes me want to wander back that way - MOOs and MUDs - so much more fun than chatting!!"