Glenda's Reviews > The Gargoyle

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Sep 13, 10

bookshelves: books-read-in-2010
Read from September 08 to 13, 2010

The narrator suffers a life threating car accident that leaves him with burns all over his body. While in the hospital recovering and contemplating suicide, he meets a psych ward patient named Marianne Engel, who is also a sculptress of gorgoyles. She claims that they were once lovers in medieval Germany.He recovers enough to be released from the hospital, into Marianne's care and takes up residence in her huge stone house. At first, the narrator can't believe anyone could love him in his burned state. But as the story progresses, he learns the true meaning of love from Marianne Engel's sharing of their story from history.
I loved the stories Marianne told. Each is a heartbreaking yet uplifting story of love. The graphic descriptions of Hell I didn't care so much for, but it did make me think "what is Hell really like?" And the ending, though not what I would have hoped for, was the appropriate way for the story to end.
A very extraordinary and thought provoking book. For me the story was haunting and disturbing and at the same time beautiful and inspiring. Parts are difficult to get through because of the graphic nature of the details both before and after the accident. But this makes the beauty of the story all the more sweet.
I almost never want to reread books, but I want to read this again already! I also want to read Dante's Inferno.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gargoyle.

Quotes Glenda Liked

Andrew Davidson
“I spent my entire life waiting for you, Marianne, and I didn't even know it until you arrived. Being burned was the best thing that ever happened to me because it brought you. I wanted to die but you filled me with so much love that it overflowed and I couldn't help but love you back. It happened before I even knew it and now I can't imagine not loving you. You have said that it takes so much for me to believe anything, but I do believe. I believe in your love for me. I believe in my love for you. I believe that every remaining beat of my heart belongs to you, and I believe that when I finally leave this world, my last breath will carry your name. I believe that my final word--Marianne--will be all I need to know that my life was good and full and worthy, and I believe that our love will last forever.”
Andrew Davidson, The Gargoyle