Jackbird2's Reviews > The Twilight Saga

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

U_50x66
Nov 21, 09

Read in November, 2009, read count: 2

This series depresses me, and I can't quite put my finger on why, but it does. The first time I read them it coincided with my 25th birthday, I chalked it up to feeling old, struggling with questions such as "A I doing what I love?" "Do I want to do this 25 years from now?” “Is this my life?” And all the other questions people struggle with when realizing they aren’t as young as they want to be.

The second time around however was no different, after reading the series in a three day haze, where nothing in my life seemed as interesting as Forks and Edward, I am depressed.

WHY do these books have this effect on me? At this point I am more pissed off at the way I feel after reading the books than I am at Myer for having her main character be such poor, dependent female. The Twilight books aren't touching like well written books can be, they aren't heartbreaking like the hundreds of books I have read about human tragedy and they most certainly aren’t meant to be thought provoking - except if you happen to be a teenage girl mulling over when to loose your virginity. These books are supposed to be nothing more than fluff, nothing more than silly nonsense to be read when bored or on the beach in the Bahamas. Yet here I am thinking about mortality, morality and relationships. I feel betrayed by my mind that these books have me dwelling on these topics, that they have provoked in me more than just a wish that I had a vampire lover too.

That being said the second time around made the flaws in the series more blatant. Don’t get me wrong the story is good, but weakness is in the words, characters and descriptions. Despite Myer’s best attempts to blotch the story with her writing style or lack there off it, it is able shine through…most of the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twilight Saga.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Heatherj82 I have to say I felt very similar after I read the series. Very depressed. Wondering why I cant have a perfect mate like Edward. All I thought about was the story, even weeks after I read it. Not that I actually loved the story, I was just so, I guess you could say jealous of Bella's life. I understand how you feel! Im 27 yrs old and moping about why my husband isnt more like Edward, or even Jacob! (which I always felt sorry for)

Jackbird2 Hahaha - thanks for letting me know! Glad I am not the only one that feels this way!