Cheryl's Reviews > Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life

Being Zen by Ezra Bayda

Jan 17, 10

bookshelves: feeding-the-learning-hunger
Read in January, 2010

"Our difficulties are not obstacles to the path; they are the path itself. They are opportunities to awaken. Can we learn what it means to welcome an unwanted situation, with its sense of groundlessness, as a wake-up call? Can we look at it as a signal that there is something here to be learned? Can we allow it to penetrate our hearts? By learning to do this, we are taking the first basic step toward learning what it means to be open to life as it is..."

I liked the way this author presented Zen Buddhism more practically and less philosophically. It is less about enlightenment as a path to salvation and more about the practice of meditation to have an open heart and and be able to flow with life. I am a sometimes meditator, but I believe in the word practice applied to anything spiritual. If you practice opening your heart, you will have an open heart. If you practice seeing the good in everyone you meet, you will meet good people. I really liked his loving-kindness meditation, which you direct toward yourself first, then to people close to you, and then to the whole world.

May I dwell in the open heart.
May I attend to whatever clouds the heart.
May I be awake in this moment, just as it is.
May the awakened heart be extended to all beings.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Zen.