Bryn's Reviews > Trilby

Trilby by George du Maurier

Nov 21, 09

This is a gothic, tragic, beautiful novel and I loved it. There are so many ways in which the narrative defies romantic expectation.

Trilby is a Parisian girl, model for various artists. She's a simple, well meaning, innocent soul who at the outset can take her clothes off for art without any real shame. One of the artists (a naive young lad called Billy) falls in love with her, but she also wins the attention of Svengali, a dark, twisted sort of person whose intetions towards her are less than good.

The author, du Maurier is part of the same family as Daphne Du Maurier, although an older generation.

Because of the age of the book, there are places it does not go - only hinting at things, and never following any of the protagonists into the bedroom. There are things we do not know about their relatonships, and we don't get inside heads much.

There is a fascinating strand involving Trilby's loss of innocence - far less about her own actions than her coming to realise how the world might see her.

The desctiptions are engaging, the plot full of surprises. I loved it. it's not for people who like comfortable romance formulae, but if gothic and full of uncertainty is your thing, I highly recomend this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trilby.