Kirstin's Reviews > Marcelo in the Real World

Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork

Feb 21, 10

bookshelves: library, best-of-2010
Read from January 31 to February 11, 2010

I started hearing a lot about this book at the end of last year, when it appeared on several best-of-young-adult-literature lists, and so, when I saw it in a display at the library, I picked it up.

I’m glad I did. Marcelo has a unique voice amongst the characters I’ve read before. Half the time he refers to himself in the third person and half the time in the first. He has a tough time discerning sarcasm (I was reminded somewhat of Sheldon’s perpetual confusion in The Big Bang Theory.), is often confused by people’s emotions and underlying motives, and likes to work in a methodical way that enables him to minimize errors. When he’s forced to work at his father’s law firm, that’s a big problem, where petty jealousies, selfish subterfuge, and cut-throat competition define the rapid-fire paced workplace. And that doesn’t even begin to get into what it’s like to work for your father, especially when he’s made it clear that he feels you’re coddled and not living up to your potential.

The only bright light is his supervisor, Jasmine, who, despite declaring that she hadn’t been in favor of his hire, works hard to make sure he’s able to do his job. And when he makes a discovery that will change the tenor of his days, Jasmine is there with him to assist in what will become his summer’s quest and a crucial decision in his life.

I always find it fascinating to see into the thought-process of another, and this book really gives you a glimpse into that. The end of the book brought a smile to my face and I can only wish good thoughts for Marcelo in the next (unwritten) chapters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marcelo in the Real World.

02/01/2010 page 320