JoAnn's Reviews > Going Rogue: An American Life

F 50x66
Nov 21, 2009

bookshelves: current-events, memoirs-and-biographies
Read in December, 2009

Sarah Palin can write rather well, it was obvious that she was always interested in writing, and keep journals throughout her life. Her descriptions of life in Alaska are what made the book especially enjoyable and appealing, I learned alot about how life in "The Last Frontier" is different from that in the lower 48, and how it is similiar. I wish there was more about the history of Alaska, and life in Alaska. I didn't realize, for example,or never stopped to think about how big Alaska is (1/3 the size of the continental US), or how long it takes to fly from one part of the state to another (at least 4 hours). It is especially informative as to the Alaskan pipeline and Alaska's store of renewable and non-renewable natural resources. She certainly brought about alot of effective change in the short period of time she was governor while giving birth to a Down's syndrome child, supporting her daughter who gave birth while still in high school, supporting her husband who was on the slopes a good part of the year, giving up some of the personal staff in the govenor's mansion (a cook, for example), and running for VP of the US - all in the same year! One certainly has to respect her for that.
The rest of the book seemed to be her answer to all the attacks by the media while running for VP, and certainly she had more than her share, and was at times attacked unfairly. She spends alot of time justifying what she did and said while campaigning, blaming campaign headquarters, and answering her critics. One has to ask, where was John McCain during all this - after all, this was his campaign. While I can understand her position, and admire her for restraining from attacking or even mentioning Levi by name, I still can't help wondering why she left her position as governor, and why she is writing the book. Did she think the attacks would stop once she left? Have they? Or has she brought about a new series of investigations or charges? I guess now she can devote all her time to defending herself (without affecting the time she needed to spend on Alaska as governor) and she has the money from the sale of the book to do this now. Plus, she can test the waters, chart her path for the future, and keep her name in the spotlight. When does book #2 come out?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Rogue.