Charlyn Trussell's Reviews > The Last of the Sky Pirates

The Last of the Sky Pirates by Paul Stewart

Nov 21, 09

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, fiction, series
Recommended for: Gr. 4 and up
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

When Rook is chosen to be one of three apprentice librarians to complete their education in the Deepwoods and complete their treatises, he seems to have neither the pedigree or the background for the appointment. But, as he and Magda and Stob journey to reach the Deepwoods, the skill and talent that others saw in Rook emerges. The trip to get to their study base, Lake Landing in the Free Glades, was a trial. Once there they must enter training to become librarian knights and design and complete their own instrument of flight. And there Rook is reunited with Varis Lodd who had rescued him as a foundling from the Deepwoods. She once again bonds with Rook and enlists his skills in flying with her and another to free banderbears held as slaves.

This dangerous mission succeeds in release of the banderbears, but it is a trap to ensnare Varis. In their retreat Rook is shot by a poison arrow which almost ends his life. A long convalescence leaves him behind as his two classmates, Magda and Stob, leave on their studies in the Deepwoods.

When Rook is finally able to leave on his mission to learn more about the banderbear, it takes a long while for him to even find one to observe. His patience brings him success and he bonds with a banderbear. Through this relationship, Rook meets the title character: Twig, the last of the sky pirates.

When Twig learns that a friend he believed dead is in prison, he and Rook plan a rescue mission using Twig's ship, apparently the only flying ship left with a flight stone intact.

This book stands alone, but it was a surprise to meet Twig again, so much older than his last appearance. And I think this book was a bit more suspenseful than the others--it led me to spurts of reading longer than I really had time to do. It also led me to do some digging online to see if I could find a timeline or an outline for the books to see the connect for some of the books. Finally, it left me ready to plunge into the next book in the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last of the Sky Pirates.