Jen's Reviews > Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer

F 50x66
Oct 17, 2007

liked it
Read in October, 2007

At times it is very gripping. Other times my eyes glaze over. It's a really long book, and sometimes a bit too poetic and literary for me. I think if an editor had pruned out 200 pages it could be a book that I wouldn't put down.

It also seemed a little unrealistic for the time period--all the freedoms that people had in this book, all the assorted famous people that she meets (and keeps 'running into' again and again), all the men that instantly loved her, all the various type of encounters--I couldn't really get past that. The description of her romance with her true loves were not convincing, all of her relationships seemed based on just a glance, or a feeling, or a moment shared.

The most gripping parts were when she went on the boat, as a boy, until they were back on land again. That was great. And I enjoyed her time on the lighthouse, too. Very pleasant. Definitely not one of my best books ever though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer.

Erika I agree with you on the excessive poetic/lyrical descriptions. There were times when Una is gazing at the stars and I was thinking "enough already! Yeah, we get it. They're beautiful and inspiring!" I felt I enjoyed the story most when it focused on the characters.