Cathy 's Reviews > Fragile Eternity

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr

This 3rd book in the series didn't have a sudden and abrupt resolution that the first 2 did, it just had an abrupt ending. Reading an ebook version with the acknowledgments at the end, it looked like I had a little bit of story left, then suddenly it was over with no warning. I don't mind a cliffhanger, but usually I have at least a hint that one is coming; this was a not-too-fun surprise.

Once again, the real issue with this book is that I'm just too old to really appreciate it. There are many aspects that I found beautiful, although there was less introduction of ideas that really fascinated me. The story was generally fine. But the foundation of the story is that 2 young kids are so in love that everything revolves around each other and they are willing to risk everything for each other. And everyone in the book, even people hundreds of years old, just accepts that. No one ever suggests that maybe your first boyfriend/girlfriend isn't the one you end up spending the rest of your life with. The perspective is firmly in the teen love arena and it annoys me because I have a different perspective. I know that first love feels just as real as relationships that follow, and occasionally first love or young love does turn into a lifetime commitment, but these kids have been together only a few months. It's just too dramatic, with no magical reason they feel that level of commitment, it just doesn't ring true to me and bugs me.

In addition, Seth is still just too perfect, an idealized young man with no flaws who couldn't really exist. Kings and Queens love him so much that they are willing to risk their kingdoms for him after short or no acquaintance, even those who are traditionally known to be cruel and capricious. Why? No reason, he's just a cool guy.

Aislinn has been Queen for a few months and is picking things up quickly through instinct and research, but she's still in high school and still just 17-18. Why does everyone including ageless fairies, accept that she's mature enough to make these decisions?

If I were also 18, or younger, maybe I'd accept all of this. I know that every teen adventure novel is about kids doing extraordinary things, but this one just doesn't ring true to me. Without the haunting and lovely images and concepts from the fist 2 books this one fell pretty flat for me. People who love Seth will love the book. Heck, I love Seth a little just because he is so perfect, so it was OK, but just OK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragile Eternity.

Quotes Cathy Liked

Melissa Marr
“Choose to be happy. It is what we have all done.”
Melissa Marr, Fragile Eternity

11/22/2009 page 115
29.56% "Summer has a King & Queen. Do Winter, Dark & Light not need a partner or is something missing/to come?"
11/23/2009 page 185
47.56% "Gave in & snuck a look at the end, was worried that it was leading to an easy solution, but glad it's not Marr's style."
11/23/2009 page 175
44.99% "What's with all of the ravens? Traditionally they'd be spies for Bananach, but maybe sis Sorcha"