Becky's Reviews > Lips Touch: Three Times

Lips Touch by Laini Taylor

Jan 18, 10

bookshelves: teen, young-adult, fantasy, dark-and-twisty
Read in November, 2009

"In such mild ways is the groundwork laid for first kisses and ruined lives." pg 82.

I originally picked up this book because it was nominated for the National Book Award. Prior to it's nomination I hadn't actually heard of it. The cover is great and of all the nominated books, this was the one I really wanted to read.

The book is (as I'm sure most of you know by now) three short stories that all culminate in a first kiss. Of the three stories, I enjoyed the second one "Spicy Little Curses Such as These" the most. It read like something straight out of an old fairy tale anthology. I actually saw aspects of a lot of my favorite literary and fairy tales in this story. The atmosphere of India was wonderful. The descriptions were so vivid and the characters so complex that I couldn't stop reading.

I also enjoyed the other two stories, "Goblin Fruit" and "Hatchling." Although, I did find "Hatchling" to be a little confusing. Mostly just with the time period. At first I thought it was a turn of the century story, then I realized it was more modern day, but then I was right back at the turn of the century. My brain's lack of a concrete time period left me feeling a little more detached from this story.

"Goblin Fruit" was an interesting story and I really loved the descriptions of the main character, Kizzy. The fact that she's described as being maybe not the prettiest high school girl, but that she'll grow to be the girl who, "would some day know a dozen ways to wear a silk scarf, how to read the sky for rain and coax feral animals near, how to purr throaty love songs in Portugese and Basque, how to lay vampires to rest, how to light a cigar, how to light a man's imagination on fire," pg 24. That's a pretty awesome thing to grow up to be, if she grows up that is.

The writing in this book was really beautiful and I enjoyed it very much. I wasn't expecting the illustrations to play such a large role in the stories and was very happy to see them used so well. I love a good illustration! Although it didn't win the NBA, I'm glad I picked up this one and I definitely have some girls in mind who I will be recommending it to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lips Touch.