Fostergrants's Reviews > Encyclopaedia of Magical Herbs

Encyclopaedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham

Oct 17, 07

bookshelves: gardening

i love this book - i wander around the yard with it - i practically read it to my plants. the history and folklore adds so much to my gardening experience and i get totally excited when somebody asks about this or that herb i have in a dish near my front door or tied in a bundle over the fireplace. each plant reference includes: latin name, folk name, gender, planet, element, deities, powers, uses, whether or not it's poisonous, and a black n white botanical sketch of the plant. mint is no longer mint - it's a plant at the end of driveway keeping out evil spirits and promoting good neighbor relations. i don't really believe in evil spirits but since all the neighbors stop to rub and sniff the plant and also say hello, i cannot argue with this book! it's also amusing to think of ones grandmother wandering around town with a potato in her purse trying not to catch a cold. we have come a long way with modern science but have lost so much of the romance of 'lore'. why can't we have both!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encyclopaedia of Magical Herbs.

Magaly Guerrero I truly love this book too. I'm currently rereading it and wishing with all my soul that it was in color.

Fostergrants Yes, I agree about the color. There are some herbs that look so much alike in the garden, it's hard to tell them apart and I think color would help. Those are the moments I run for 'Google' images.