LARRY's Reviews > The People of Sparks

Nov 01, 07

bookshelves: young_adults
Read in October, 2007

As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

I was truly disappointed with *The People of Sparks*. With *City of Ember*, I really like it because it was different with 2 teenagers leading the citizens of an underground city to the top. In the sequel, I had high hopes that it would be better. However, it was not to be.

Doon and Lina have lead their people out from underground. Soon after this, they meet civilization, namely the people of Sparks. It looked like a beautiful world for both of these people. However, greed, backstabbing, blame soon reared their ugly heads. How the book became bad was that it contained repetitive topics and dialogues especially about how the people of Sparks were concerned about their dwindling supply of food and the Emberites feeling like they deserve more food.

In addition, I did not what was the point of Lina's wasted trip to a ruined city. She learned nothing nor gained anything from this trip. Now, back to the city of Sparks, people just bickered constantly against each other. This kind of drama may work well in soap operas on TV but it certainly didn't work in this book.

So, I do not recommend this book. I highly doubt that I'll read *The Prophet of Yonwood* unless another reader can convince me that Duprau has improved the story plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The People of Sparks.