Lindsay's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Feb 02, 10

Read in January, 2010

** spoiler alert ** What an incredible story! I just loved the characters especially Minny -- I really felt attached to all 3 ladies though. I can't even imagine living back then and how things were with segregation and all. I know my dad went to a school that had segregated bathrooms and water fountains and I really can't even fathom why racism and slavery for that matter ever happened to begin with let alone fester for as long as it did. The sad thing is there is still a lot of racism that continues even today and I think it is really sad. I almost want to cry after reading this because I know in my heart that they were treated awful even after they were free.

I loved the whole idea of connecting to other women and how neither Skeeter or LouAnne or Celia for that matter realized they were on the same side. I think we get this way a lot and think that no one goes through what we do but really a lot of us are going through the same thing just slightly different. I agree with Kathryn that it is vital to humanity that we try to understand the other side of the story even though we never can fully understand b/c we aren't them and didn't go through it.

I think the other thing that really touched me was the lack of parenting and love by Elizabeth. It really depressed me but also inspired me to make sure I really play with my kids and show them all the love that they deserve. I can't imagine having a mother that either didn't love her kids or just didn't care enough to show it and put forth some effort. I really wanted to swear at her!!

I also liked how Aibileen was so creative in her stories with May telling her about the green Martian Luther King...that was one of the funniest parts of the book.

I felt like they didn't really get into the male characters very much but one of the ones I liked was Johnny as he loved his wife no matter what she did or whether she could have kids or not. I thought he was really supportive of her where no one else even knew her enough to say hi let alone to know what she was going through. I thought she was really a genuine person and I love how she tried to be friends with Minny and just eliminate that barrier from the beginning no matter what Minny said or did.

Overall I really liked the way this story was told and am amazed how awesome a job Kathryn did with such tricky relationships and subject...a very hard story to tell and get right. I think this is my new favorite book and author now. Really I can't convey how much this story really impacted me. I love that books can do this for us.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

01/26/2010 page 47