Julie's Reviews > How to Ditch Your Fairy

How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier

Nov 22, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, school
Read in November, 2009

There's some really cool things in this one. This is my second Larbalestier, having just read Liar.

It takes place in a country and city that doesn't really exist -- that she says is sort of a cross between the US and Australia. And it's also slightly in the future. So it has somewhat of a science fiction feel to it.. and actually, if she'd provided more of a scientific explanation for the fairies, it could be science fiction. So I classify it in the same camp I put Diane Duane's Wizardry series. Technically fantasy, but it really reads like science fiction to me.

Charlie goes to a sports school, so her entire curriculum is centered around sports, and she's on several different sports teams simultaneously. And of course with a school like that, you're health and diet is pretty regulated and all. And it's also very disciplined, so she keeps racking up demerits.

At the same time, almost everyone has a fairy. And she has a parking fairy. Whatever car she's in, it always gets a really good parking spot. She thinks this is a lame fairy, so hence the title of the book. She's trying to get rid of it, so she can get a better one. Like one of her friends has a shopping fairy and helps her get really cool clothes for great prices.

I was intrigued by the idea and I liked the world. The book did leave me a little confused by the end. I wasn't quite sure what was up with that Andrew kid. And it also left me wanting to know more about the fairies, so I hope she's planning a sequel.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Ditch Your Fairy.