Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > Fixing Delilah

Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler

Nov 29, 10

bookshelves: for-review, favorites, printed-book, own
Read from November 15 to 29, 2010

"There's so much lost. So many different versions of the truth. So many different versions of how things might've turned out differently. We all long for what could have been..." (Ockler 178*)

A story with a lot of heart, Fixing Delilah is perfect for anyone in need of a wonderful contemporary novel (especially those who are already fans of Ockler's debut - Twenty Boy Summer - because this one doesn't disappoint). Narrated by Delilah, Delilah herself is a girl with some issues. She got caught stealing something incredibly stupid, she messed around with a guy that just might be a complete waste of time, and then she's stuck dealing with her mom and aunt - who can never get along - as they come together in a house they hadn't seen in years.

The characters were 100% individuals, from Aunt Rachel's awesome sense of humor to Delilah's mother's business-comes-first personality. None of them are perfect, they're far from it. The Hannaford women are truly disconnected, chaotic, and completely endearing with all their faults and all their positive characteristics. The supporting characters in town actually acted like small town folks do - Ockler never fails to make sure the realism is solid and on point.

Fixing Delilah is one part dysfunctional family, a few handfuls of humor, a couple dashes of mystery and intrigue, just a touch more of hot musician and a sweet swoon-worthy romance, and it all adds up to a heartfelt and lovable story that proves impossible to forget.

Highlights: Ockler excels at making her characters believable and realistic. The relationships between characters (whether romantic or familial) aren't perfect, but they are true to the ones you might have in life. Her descriptiveness really makes the scenery come alive and pop right off the pages. Ockler has a way with words, and her writing is stunning to me. Her writing is honest, pure and very true to her characters - I wish Ockler could have a novel come out every week, I adore her work that much.

Lowlights: I think I might prefer Ockler's Twenty Boy Summer more, but this one was a touching story too, just in a different way. And who knows, maybe I'll reread both and find I prefer this one ;)

Rating: I've debated the rating for this book for months, but I'll stick with a 5/5

*Page number not exact - will adjust once I buy my copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fixing Delilah.

Quotes Lea (YA Book Queen) Liked

Sarah Ockler
“We all long for what could have been.”
Sarah Ockler, Fixing Delilah

11/15/2010 page 67

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna omg, do you have it??? :oO

message 2: by Anna (new) - added it