Heather's Reviews > The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: childrens, fantasy
Read in April, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sea of Monsters.

11/20/2009 page 107
37.15% "Aww, Tyson is such a sweetie!" 1 comment
12/15/2009 page 186
64.58% "I think I may be enjoying this one even more than the first book..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy B. (new) - added it

Kathy B. Heather, there's nothing better than reading a book with one of your children. I love that he keeps begging you to read more. Isn't that a great feeling?

Heather It really is! And seeing his reaction to this series has been a blast. He will literally be sitting on the edge of his seat waiting to find out what's going to happen next. I love it!

message 3: by Kathy B. (new) - added it

Kathy B. Oh, Heather, I really miss those days of reading with my kids. Of course, now I get to look forward to reading with the grandkids. My 8-year-old granddaughter (my daughter and her husband are raising his niece and she is now ensconced into the family as my granddaughter, love her so much) already looks to Grammy (me) as the person who will buy her books. I got her all of the Diary of a Whimpy Kid books for Christmas and she was thrilled. We live an hour apart, so I don't get to read with her often, but I enjoy being the book grandmother. My daughter and her husband also have a four-month old baby girl, whom I have started buying books for, too.

Heather "The Book Grandmother" - what an awesome title to have, Kathy! And one I bet you wear proudly. :)

Your granddaughter is close to my oldest son's age. He just turned 9 in December. Isn't it fun watching them delve into the bigger kid books? There are so many wonderful choices out there for them. I get just as excited about reading them as he does!

message 5: by Kathy B. (new) - added it

Kathy B. Heather, I might be repeating myself, but have I asked you if you and your son have read any of the Jon Scieszka Time Warp Trio series? If you haven't, I bet your son would love these. My son loved them when he was your son's age and even a little older. Great chapter books with some illustrations by Lane Smith, who illustrated most of Scieszka's picture books.

My granddaughter Journie will turn 9 on Valentine's Day, so your son and she are pretty much the same age. I agree that it is a great age for reading with them and sharing the excitement of it all.

Heather You know, Kathy, I think you did mention that series to me awhile back. And I'm so glad you mentioned it again because I had forgotten about it! Mace and I will have to check for those the next time we are at the library. Thanks for the recommendation!

While we're discussing children's series....do you know anything about the Erin Hunter Warriors and Seekers series? I've seen them all over the place and have wondered if they were good. I haven't talked to anyone who has read them yet.

message 7: by Kathy B. (new) - added it

Kathy B. Oh, Heather, I'm glad you asked me about Erin Hunter. I just bought my granddaughter the complete set (so far?) of Warriors, starting with Into the Wild, for her upcoming Valentine birthday. I have been wanting to read this series myself for a while. When we were at Border's in November, we looked at them and she wanted them. Since I bought her the Diary of a Whimpy Kid series for Christmas (all her classmates were reading Whimpy Kid), I put off the Warriors until her birthday. My daughter said that Journie has been talking about wanting to read them. I got a great deal at Books-A-Million on them last week, the set of 6 for half-price, $18.00. What's funny is that I had already bought three of them in a set for her, but I decided to keep those for myself and see if we couldn't read them at the same time. I'm also interested in reading the Seekers series by Hunter. I've heard great reviews on both series.

Heather I'm glad I asked too!! I've been dying to hear some feedback on them. For some reason, those books just call out to me whenever I see them in the book stores. (you know how that can happen ;) Especially the Seekers series. I would love to hear what you and Journie (love that name!) think of them once you get going! I'm so excited to hear that you guys will be reading them!! :)

Has Journie started on the Whimpy Kid series yet? Mace absolutely DEVOURED the first book. It was hilarious to watch him read it, because he would be sitting there just cracking up. My husband and I got the biggest kick out of watching him. I don't know what happened with the second one in the series...he just didn't really get into it. I was so disappointed considering how much he had loved the first one. I haven't read them yet, but would like to at some point. They seem to be hugely popular!

message 9: by Kathy B. (new) - added it

Kathy B. From what my daughter reports, Journie is really enjoying the Whimpy Kid series. I'll have to ask her, too. I do want to read them, or at least a couple to see why they are so popular. That's a shame that Mace (also a great name) was let down by the second one. It makes me want to read them even more and ascertain the difference between the two. I agree with you about the Erin Hunt books seeming to call out from the shelves to be read. One reason I became interested in them is because of the Ursela Le Guin series I had read for younger readers called Catwings. These are some of my favorite books, and, yes, I gave those to Journie, too. LOL!

message 10: by Heather (last edited Jan 10, 2010 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Heather I'm not 100% sure, but I think the second Whimpy Kid book deals more with the brother? And I don't think Mace enjoyed it as much because of that. Maybe. LOL I'll have to double check with him and see, but I think that was part of it. Glad to hear that Journie is enjoying the series! That's awesome!

Hooray for our reading kids/grandkids! We've done something right, Kathy! (not to imply that we normally don't, but only that we got our kiddos reading! woohoo) LOL :)