Luna's Reviews > Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure

Lost in Austen by Emma Campbell Webster

Nov 22, 09

Read in November, 2009

I found the concept of this book intriguing, so I picked it up. It was a pretty fun to read as a fan of Austen, but it didn't quite meet my expectations. I suppose I was hoping for a little more decision-making instead of basically reading summaries of the entire plots of most of Austen's books. However, I found it extremely clever how the author worked other books into the the plot of Pride and Prejudice. By the end, my version of Elizabeth had basically been wooed by every heroine's multiple suitors from most of Austen's books! (Quite a popular young lady, apparently.) But that was only after a few random diversions lead to death, scandal, and failure.

Some of it also seemed to have a little too much modernism interjected into it. Like, I thought I was making the right choice as far as an Austen-era lady would make, but would be punished in favor of what a modern woman would choose. Also, tallying the points was fun, but listing all the accomplishments, failures, and connections was utterly pointless. Plus a lot of the points for intelligence, confidence, and fortune were awarded or taken away during the plot summary without me having any impact on the story and the events that led to the points.

That said, I guess I can't picture a choose-your-own adventure book through Austen's world done much better. Perhaps becoming a completely unique heroine to begin with and not Elizabeth Bennet?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in Austen.