CD 's Reviews > XPD

XPD by Len Deighton

Nov 06, 10

bookshelves: thriller-spy, espionage
Read from November 02 to 06, 2010

I had read this book, who knows how long ago. It finally became very familiar about 75 pages or so in to the story.

One of those many WWII/Nazi/Occupied France spy thriller that so dominated the popular fiction market for years. A reasonably well done, though improbable, story line even in the face of various true tales that have emerged as time has passed. Another attempt to play on the real Rudolf Hess story in one way or another.

This is only a quick review from a genre that I spent many hours on planes and in airports in years past. Many of these entertaining books are worth a read for just the sake of exercising the brain when and not having to be concerned if they are ever truly 'finished'.

As a genre of popular literature, the espionage/thriller from the WWII era, has mostly faded. There are a few choice jewels from the period or a few writers whose body of work is worth looking at for the reader seeking to explore. Len Deighton probably falls in the latter category as he continued to write in this vein with success past the 'peak' of the post Cold War mania of this type of revelatory fiction. I found his book, The Ipcress File to be his best work of this type.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read XPD.

11/02/2010 "I pretty sure I read this as I've got a paper back that's been sitting on the shelf but the first few dozen pages don't ring a bell! That's is unheard if I've even started the book previously. So - here we go."