Yas's Reviews > Crash

Crash by J.G. Ballard

Aug 22, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: sci-fi, couldnt-finish, utter-rubbish, reviewed, chinese, library-not-owned
Read from August 21 to 22, 2010

Utter utter utter crap.

Seriously this book is just absolutely disgusting....

Worst book I've read on the 1001 books list so far. Won't be trying this author again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash.

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Have you seen this movie?!

message 2: by Yas (new) - rated it 1 star

Yas No I havent! Is it any good? Have you read the book?

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I haven't read the book. The movie is WIERD lol. James Spader is hot though!

message 4: by Yas (new) - rated it 1 star

Yas Lol gotta be worth a look if theres hot totty in it lol

message 5: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly hahaa

have you seen The Secretary with him in it??

message 6: by Yas (new) - rated it 1 star

Yas No I havent, tbh I dont recognise his name but you know...Im curious..I may google image him LOL!

message 7: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Lol - it's more his personality that makes him attractive, so looking at a picture you might not think he's super-hot! But he is! He's also in that legal drama The Practice, not sure if y'all get that tv show over there! I bet you would like Secretary, you should look it up some time. :)

message 8: by Yas (new) - rated it 1 star

Yas No I think he is too! Espec with the glasses...I love a guy in glasses lol. No we dont get that programme for some reason but sure I can get hold of the film...will deffo be checkin that one out lol

message 9: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Oops... I meant Boston Legal... but he was in The Practice too lol

message 10: by Yas (new) - rated it 1 star

Yas Lol..yeah Ive heard of Boston Legal...I should check it out...people have told me to!

Stuart I would be interested as to how you feel about this book.

message 12: by Yas (new) - rated it 1 star

Yas Stuart wrote: "I would be interested as to how you feel about this book."

I didn't like it!! :(:(

I just couldn't get past the first 20 pages, I found it really hard to read, totally gratuitous erotic stuff in there, with too many disgusting details for me...I also just quite honestly, didn't get it.

I saw you gave this one a high rating though, what did you like about it?

Stuart Yas wrote: "Stuart wrote: "I would be interested as to how you feel about this book."

I didn't like it!! :(:(

I suppose for me it was the way the book deals with people who find themselves drawn to a dangerous lifestyle, how they get sucked into it and how the addiction becomes all consuming. I agree it is not a nice book, that is why I would not recommend it to most people, as it is quite disturbing. I think Ballard may have aimed to shock people, as of all his books I have read this was the most provocative. On this note I have decided to avoid "American Psycho", as I think it would have the same affect on me. I seem to remember that the director of the film version said that the screenplay was altered as she though the original novel was too misogynistic. I also remember some reviews in the papers that echoed that. I am wondering if I reread Crash I might decide I overated it, but the way I feel at the moment I have no desire to do that and my copy ended up in a charity shop.