Lara's Reviews > The Darkangel

The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce

Dec 04, 09

bookshelves: read-in-2009, fantasy, young-adult, vampires, libraried
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

Well, this WAS inventive and beautiful, but...I guess I was just hoping for something more than that.

There's so little character development that it was impossible for me to feel any attachment to anybody, and I kept waiting around wondering when the darkangel's supposed deep-down goodness would manifest itself, but it never really did, until his circumstances drastically changed at the very end. I never quite figured out how Aeriel came to love him--it seemed that they spent very little actual time together, and most of that time he was busy threatening her or chasing her around trying to kill her. Her thought process pretty much seemed to be, "He's beautiful! But he's evil! But he's so beautiful! But he wants to kill me! But he's really, really beautiful!" I just didn't get it is all.

There were several things I really loved about the book though--the wraithes, and the fourteen vials containing their souls that the darkangel wore around his neck, and I very much liked the parts of the story that took place in the desert, and the symbolism of the trading of hearts.

I feel like this book could have been AMAZING but, mainly because of the poor character development, it just fell a little flat for me. I still may read the second book in the trilogy, but I certainly don't feel any real compulsion to do so. Maybe I just came to this story too late in life...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkangel.