Lara's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2009, fantasy, young-adult, abandoned, newbery, action-adventure
read count: .5

I'm giving up on this one. It's not BAD, just...excruciatingly BORING. To me, anyway. I found the main character obnoxious and all the other characters underdeveloped and uninteresting, and over half way through the book, nothing's really happened--they've started their journey, and then traveled, and traveled, and traveled, and traveled, and traveled, and...you get the picture. I've heard really good things about this series, and maybe at some point in the future I'll give it another try. But I have too many other books that look far more exciting than this one has been, so I'm moving on to one of them.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

12/21/2009 page 115
52.51% "I am not enjoying this one so far. I don't like any of the characters, LEAST of all the main one! I really hope it gets better soon..."

Starr I am so glad you posted this, I had heard so many awesome things about this book, but it was so BORING that I kept checking the cover to be sure I bought the right one!

I gritted my teeth and pushed through, though, and shortly after the middle the action actually starts, the characters become more likeable, and it gets interesting, particularly toward the end. But I completely understand stopping. Hope the subsequent books start at a better pace!

message 2: by Lara (new) - rated it 1 star

Lara Guh, yeah, I still haven't been able to force myself to pick this one back up again, but now that you say it does get better about halfway through I might make another attempt!

Adrianna It's THAT bad

message 4: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa I listened to the audio book and it was SO boring!! I actually didn't bother to listen to the last 20 minutes, it had already revealed the twist anyway. I don't understand why it has such a high rating. The main character was a pansy