Eileen Souza's Reviews > The Lost Symbol

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

Nov 20, 2009

bookshelves: north-america, brain-science
Read in November, 2009

My rating for this book has nothing to do with the actual book or story, or the way it's written or how quickly I read it, or how much I enjoyed it - if you can believe that.

The book itself was typical Dan Brown. It was intellectual, it was a thriller, you were caught off guard at every turn. Things were deeper and darker than you could imagine. It was fun to read and there were opportunities to expand my horizons. On it's own I would have given it a 4.

The reason that it got 5 stars is because it's a game changer for me. This book brought me to Noetics - which is a clear definition of all the nebulous thoughts I've had on religion in my life. It's about energy, and focused intent, and living consciously and unconsciously. It's about the fact that we know so little about what the mind can actually do. The book was written in a way so that as soon as I felt inferior - like I don't doubt that it can be done, but "I" can't do it, the characters would have that exact same discussion. Basically, there was the story itself in the book, and there was the story above it. If you are a skeptic, maybe you can only read the first level of the story - but as soon as I began to read this book, I was waiting for the other story to take place.

My only criticism is that I would have loved to have had MORE examples of Noetics taking place in the book. I would have liked to have read the details of how the experiments took place.

Dad - required reading, though it's not as deep as Deepak, there's some interesting concepts, and certainly different ways to look at Wiki, google, twitter, etc as building the universal unconscious that will lead to enlightenment. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Symbol.