Ed's Reviews > Airframe

Airframe by Michael Crichton

Nov 27, 09

bookshelves: legal-fiction-thriller, reviewed
Recommended for: Chrichton fans and people with no other choice.
Read in November, 2009, read count: Once

When Michael Crichton is good he is very, very good but this effort is just plain horrible. The only reason I finished it is due to my obsession about not wanting to miss anything. I found myself reading the first sentence of paragraphs and skipping the rest to move more quickly to the end. I don't think I missed anything doing it that way.

The characters are stereotyped beyond belief: the hard working but put upon single mother, the brusque and impatient boss, the techy nerds, the debonair test pilot, the slimy industrial spy, the good-hearted mentor, the young, overly ambitious news producer, and on and on.

The plot involves an incident on a Norton Aircraft passenger liner that is complicated by a pending sale of the same model to China, a union action to stall manufacturing offsets going to China as a condition of the sale, internal company politics, and a pending "Newsline" story about unsafe Norton aircraft. There may have been others. Chrichton had to do something to fill 400+ pages.

I had pretty much figured out how it was going to end about 150 pages in. Except for some details, I made a pretty accurate guess. There were a few surprises but overall it was a predictable story with a predictable ending. I wonder if the aircraft industry subsidized Chrichton's efforts.

On the positive side, I did learn some things about the aircraft industry, how accidents are investigated, and more than I wanted to know about the acronyms used in the industry.

If you are a died in the wool Crichton fan or are stuck on a long flight with nothing else to read, I can recommend this book to you. Other than that there are just too many good Michael Crichton books as well as books about the aircraft industry. You would be better served reading those.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Airframe.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvana (new)

Silvana Yikes, thank goodness I've never felt the urge to read this book. Now I know I can trust my intuition ;p

Maybe I should take a look on his first posthumous novel though: Pirate Latitudes A Novel. Not scifi I guess, but looks interesting enough.

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed Silvana wrote: "Yikes, thank goodness I've never felt the urge to read this book. Now I know I can trust my intuition ;p

Maybe I should take a look on his first posthumous novel though: [book:Pirate Latitudes A ..."

I won't pass on a Crichton book including his newest because as I said some of them are very, very good. An occasional disappointment isn't the worst thing that can happen to somebody.

message 3: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle Harvey You people are crazy. My girlfriend hates to read, especially sci-fi. But she finished the book in under a week, as did I, because you really can't put it down. It's not always about the characters; the plot is what makes it so good.

message 4: by Ed (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed Kyle wrote: "You people are crazy. My girlfriend hates to read, especially sci-fi. But she finished the book in under a week, as did I, because you really can't put it down. It's not always about the characters..."

Not liking a book you like does not make me crazy. Anymore than you liking a book, I don't like makes you crazy. Ad hominem comments are not especially valuable and contribute little to discourse. No it's not always about the characters but it is always about poorly drawn characters in a book about as suspenseful as a bad movie.

Jackie Jameson Oh god! I finally finished this horrible book. I know now more boring BORING stuff about airplanes than I EVER wanted to know. I'd probably been more entertained by reading a manual about my vacuum cleaner!

Domagoj Don't worry, Jackie. I'm sure you didn't understand anything from the book regarding technical terms and principals of airplane functioning and flying in general. So don't bother about "learning" much more stuff you ever wanted to know about airplanes, 'cause obivously you haven't learned anything. :p

Yes, you should stick to your vacuum cleaner. You two understand each other.

Maybe you could try to entertain yourself by writting on both sides of peace of paper "flip over".

And Ed, you too! One star! The book really deserves more than that!

message 7: by Ed (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed Domagoj wrote: "Don't worry, Jackie. I'm sure you didn't understand anything from the book regarding technical terms and principals of airplane functioning and flying in general. So don't bother about "learning" m..."

I would have given it no stars except then people might have thought I just forgot to rate it. It is a terrible book. If you can find one good review that isn't subsidized by the publisher, I'd be surprised. The only review Powell's Book Store could find was from the publisher. They usually publish 3 or 4.

On another note, why attack Jackie? Instead why don't you document what is good about the book? Oh I know why, you either didn't read it or you couldn't find anything good.

Jackie Jameson Domojai (or whatever the hell your "name" is. Why so nasty? I may be dumb but I know it's "piece" of paper, not "peace". Geez.

message 9: by Ed (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed I did read the whole book as a speed reader. I only speed read crappy books.

message 10: by Ed (last edited Aug 25, 2014 01:10PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed Well, Diego, you seem to have a better opinion of this piece of crap than I do. I couldn't find your review,but did note that you gave it 4 stars. I guess you had to defend your opinion by attacking mine. You speed read the way you do and I speed read the way I do. I guess your speed reading technique is to skip letters like "hole" instead of "whole".

BTW, I don't care whether you give my review credibility or not. You can see from my review that I went through the whole book quickly and grasped both the plot and the hysterically stereotyped characters.

I suggest you spend your time writing reviews instead of critiquing others. In case you haven't figured it out yet my comment about "skipping parts" was euphemistic not literal.

Jackie Jameson You are right about one thing, Diego. You AREN'T as smart as Ed; so why don't you just lay off and go try and read ANOTHER book?

Diego Palomino Well Ed, sorry about my comments, they were out of line. Had a bad day.

message 13: by Ed (new) - rated it 1 star

Ed Diego wrote: "Well Ed, sorry about my comments, they were out of line. Had a bad day."

No Problem. I, of course, have never had a bad day, (Grin) Hang in there for the good days.

Ed