Carolyn (Book Chick City)'s Reviews > Wicked Enchantment

Wicked Enchantment by Anya Bast

Dec 24, 12

bookshelves: romance-paranormal, book-list-2010, reviewed-by-carolyn
Read in January, 2010

This is the first book I've read by Anya Bast and it is the first book in her new Dark Magick series. I really enjoyed Wicked Enchantment. Bast's writing flows very well and I was pulled into the story within just a few pages. I liked Aislinn straight away too and Gabriel is just scrummy!

I have very limited experience when it comes to paranormal romance. It's not often a genre I dip into as I get too embarrassed with all the sexual shenanigans *blush* I like a bit of sexual tension and even the lead up to sex, but usually just cringe when it gets down to the nitty gritty. With Wicked Enchantment, however, it was different. The love scenes were written well and instead of making me shy away and skim those pages, I hung around and it is a pretty sizzling read. It's not overly explicit, although it's still about a nine out of ten on the hotness scale, but it had just about the right amount of heat I could handle.

I loved the romance between Aislinn and Gabriel - it's fiery and sensual but sweet as well and we see them go from total lust to totally in love. Although, Aislinn does seem to like being dominated, there is an essence of control in the way she deals with Gabriel. It is fun to read and as I don't really like my heroines to be submissive, I'm hoping Aislinn finds more of that assertiveness in the coming books.

We also see Aislinn and Gabriel grow as characters. Aislinn from a bored, spoilt member of the Summer Queen's entourage to a strong and determined woman who has to deal with a power she never knew she had, and Gabriel from a selfish womaniser who's never given his heart to anyone but his mother, into a love sick puppy who has fallen head over heels in love and will give anything to protect her, even his life. Both characters develop well and I like the direction Bast is taking them.

Now, this book isn't just about the romance, it has a plot too and a really good one. One that kept me engrossed until the very last page. It has action, and no not that kind of action. I'm talking about action that includes weapons and spells, creepy Sluagh (the army of unforgiven dead) and goblins. It's also about friendship and the lengths people will go to preserve it. The supporting characters are just as well defined and I look forward to finding out more about them in subsequent books.

Verdict:

I thoroughly enjoyed Wicked Enchantment and if you like paranormal romance then you will love this. A fabulous combination of action packed adventure and sexy red-hot romance. I can't wait for the next installment in this series, Cruel Enchantment, which is due September 2010.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Enchantment.

01/12/2010 page 95
29.5% "So far I'm really enjoying it."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new) - added it

Jan This review is really helpful to me. Sounds like you ane I are in just about the same place when it comes to sex scenes. Thanks again.

Carolyn (Book Chick City) You're welcome - I'm getting more used to sex scenes now but I still don't like them too explicit. But this book was a great read. I'm hoping to read the second in the series soon :)

message 3: by Suz (new)

Suz Thanks for sharing your review! :) Great job. I'm confused, though. You call the book paranormal romance but then you say that the book isn't just about the romance. The definition of paranormal romance includes the romance being the primary plot point. If it's a sizzling paranormal story, but the romance isn't the primary plot point then it's considered Urban Fantasy. Granted, a lot of UF can blur the line due to the amount of romance and sex, but if the romance isn't the primary plot then it's not PNR.

Do you think this book is PNR or UF? Is the romance the primary plot point?

:) Thanks for your trouble.

Carolyn (Book Chick City) Yes, the novel is definitely paranormal romance and not urban fantasy but there are other aspects to it other than just the romance, which made it a very interesting book :)

message 5: by Suz (new)

Suz Kewl. Thanks for the clarification!