Phil's Reviews > Such a Long Journey

Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry

May 16, 10

Read in April, 2010

I have the name Rohinton Mistry etched on my brain for he is the author of my favourite book of all time – A Fine Balance.
This is a story that is again set in Mumbai, India, and is focused on a small community and in particular Gustad, his wife and their three children. It is brilliantly written in what I would call trademark Mistry language (having now read a whole two of his books!) – compelling and intricate with great character descriptions.
The reason I have given this book 3 stars and not 5 (as I did with AFB) is the lack of ‘event’ or ‘happening’. I kept reading expecting something to really get the heart beating or tears flooding but instead the author takes us down a series of avenues which might end in delight or despair but instead does neither. The whole story about the money being kept in their house for instance had great potential – would they be robbed? Might they spend it? Might the bank find out? – but instead nothing.
I am still a Mistry fan no longer is the author flawless as I might previously have suggested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Long Journey.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savigneux (new) - added it

Savigneux Lambert Hi Phil, well why should anything happen ? it may be the whole point, or even part of it. i'am currently reading Tales from Firozsha Baag, and find more or less much of the same but am delighted with it as we are taken in a psychological and cultural turmoil, funny behaviour and thinking although the whole point seems to be about life, being without a purpose as is the case in oriental literature, like japanese literature for instance, do we really need more ?