Phil's Reviews > Such a Long Journey

Such a Long Journey by Rohinton Mistry

May 16, 10

Read in April, 2010

I have the name Rohinton Mistry etched on my brain for he is the author of my favourite book of all time – A Fine Balance.
This is a story that is again set in Mumbai, India, and is focused on a small community and in particular Gustad, his wife and their three children. It is brilliantly written in what I would call trademark Mistry language (having now read a whole two of his books!) – compelling and intricate with great character descriptions.
The reason I have given this book 3 stars and not 5 (as I did with AFB) is the lack of ‘event’ or ‘happening’. I kept reading expecting something to really get the heart beating or tears flooding but instead the author takes us down a series of avenues which might end in delight or despair but instead does neither. The whole story about the money being kept in their house for instance had great potential – would they be robbed? Might they spend it? Might the bank find out? – but instead nothing.
I am still a Mistry fan no longer is the author flawless as I might previously have suggested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Long Journey.