Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)'s Reviews > Shopaholic Takes Manhattan

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: source-own, 2010, fiction, cat-series, f-general, personal-library
Read from October 19 to 21, 2010

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan is the second book in the Shopaholic series. It really is hard reviewing a sequel, but with a series as popular as this one, it probably doesn't matter. I first heard of the Shopaholic series when the movie came out. They chose a tempting cover for the poster - tempting for shopaholics like me. Shopping makes me crazy. Just like the protagonist, Becky Bloomwood, I look at stuff and imagine what I can do with it. It takes a lot of conscious thinking to look at stuff and actually ask if I need to do something with it.

Confessions of a Shopaholic was a delightful laugh-out-loud book that showed Becky's obsession so well. Sophie Kinsella writes her heroines really well - she makes them unabashedly funny and yet not pitiable. They are strong characters, who happen to be human in their wants and desires. And Becky just wanted to buy stuff. If there was a price tag on something, that surely got her excited. In the second book, we pick up where we left off in the first book. Becky has managed to pay off her debts only to find herself in deeper debts again. In addition, her boyfriend, Luke is opening a branch in New York, so Becky is all excited to crash into the shopping scene in the city of skyscrapers.

I loved this book better than the first one, which I read last year. I'm not exactly sure why that is, since I don't remember much of it, but I guess it has to do with more hilarity and better jokes. In fact, I could barely put the book down, because I was laughing too much. I also ended up talking to the book and to Becky so much whenever I sensed potential disaster, which for Becky happens too often.

Becky tries to be better, true. In fact, she invents excuses for the same. She goes shopping for a business outfit, and adds a cocktail dress to the bill, because she "knows" that she may need to wear it at "some" point. She also walks into a greeting cards shop and buys $100 worth of cards because, you never know when a card comes in useful. Right? She also falls into the same trap I did when I first came to the US - the number being spent is so much less compared to the currency back home. What is $90 when the same thing costs a larger number back home (not necessarily larger price)? And she goes around saying that you can't expect to gain something without putting in something - so she spends a lot, convincing herself and others that she'll only gain by that.

I love Becky, and how she stands up for herself. It's probably an all-things-end-well story, but it works for me, because it's funny, it's about shopping, and Becky is a wonderful character. Plus, I think we book lovers will see something of ourselves in her - how many times have we bought books for the last time ever, for that week? How many times do we keep promising to do clean-up-the-shelves challenges? Don't we all need help with that - everytime? At the same time, we don't let it get to us too much - we know when to put a hold on things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.