Eric's Reviews > Summer of '49

Jan 15, 08

bookshelves: sports
Recommended to Eric by: Joe Lazarro
Read in January, 2008

I usually stick to fiction, but a co-worker (and fellow Yankees fan) gave me a copy of this book and I decided to give it a read, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Even though "Summer of '49" is way before my time, I appreciated it on a number of levels. I learned a lot about the time period, the beginnings of television and advertising in baseball, the difference in the relationship between the media and the players, and the effect of the war on the game and the careers of its stars. I also came to realize the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry stretched much further back than I thought it did, and learned the origin of "Dropkick Murphy's," which is mentioned in passing in the book.

Besides learning more about stars I vaguely recognized from the era -- such as Joe DiMaggio, Yogi Berra, Phil Rizzuto and Ted Williams -- I was also introduced to a number of other equally interesting stars and supporting characters -- like Tommy Henrich, Allie Reynolds, Vic Rashi, Johnny Pesky and Dominic DiMaggio.

I am very glad I read "Summer of '49." It was captivating while being informative, and gives me an entirely new insight into America's pastime.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer of '49.