Stephanie's Reviews > Dead Witch Walking

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: 2010, magic-and-fantasy, librarybooks, ebooks, urban-fantasy, 2011, re-reads, own
Read from March 28 to April 01, 2010

First off, I pretty much hate the cover. I find it tawdry and cheap. I know Rachel wore something similar in the first scenes, but It looks pretty awful, garish color choices, when the rest of the color palate mentioned in the is mellow, florals, grey, black white, and yes red.
That said I liked the book. I wasn't by any means my favorite, but I enjoyed it. I mostly read it as it takes place in my hometown. I do like the little shout outs of places, but the actual geography seems to be misunderstood. Cincinnati is full of hills, and all the neighborhoods are named after them. Mt Adams, Mt Lookout, Mt Washington.College Hill. Not actual mountians, but big hills. Some things seem to be just placed because they were mentioned in a best of Cincinnati guide, like Graeter's or Findaly Market. I know its fantasy, and I know its fiction. But It doesn't seem native. I guess this is what it would be like to live in New York or London, where most things are set.
Ok, the plot. I found it surprising and inventive. I did like all the twists and turns, I liked getting to know the rules that were changed or enhanced based on folklore. I really like Ivy and Nick. I hope to get to know them more. Rachel is a bit to snarky for my tastes. I do like her high values of life though. That is most interesting, as many of these kind of books, Vamps, weres, ect are all about the death and killing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Witch Walking.

03/28/2010 page 44