Kym's Reviews > From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun

From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun by Jacqueline Woodson

Nov 19, 09

Read in June, 2009

I fell in love with Jacqueline Woodson, her sensitivity to so many issues,but more importantly her writing. I have read many of her books since June and find I am drawn in within the first few pages. Melanin Sun..more than a goodread!

“Mama…” Melanin Sun calls. Even at thirteen, when asked what he wants says, “Nothing. I just want to be sure of you”. Being a teen isn’t easy, it isn’t easy in a single parent home, and it isn’t easy when that one person that you are sure of, your mom, falls in love with another woman; nothing is sure. Jacqueline Woodson’s, From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun, probes the confusion, righteous indignation, and prejudices as Mel comes to term with his mother’s choice and has the reader confront these issues on a personal level, ironically, leaving one to provide his or her own answers.

Mel searches for self between the lines of his writing. He is confronts his inner prejudice, tackles neighborhood gossip, and learns the meaning of friendship. “The world turns upside-down when you are thirteen-going-on-fourteen” writes Melanin. Does Melanin Sun’s world ever right itself?

Golden Lines:

“I start wishing me and Mama could go back to those easy close days when our lives were as simple as chocolate cakes and Lego sets. Imagine” (p. 10).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun.