Mel's Reviews > Demon from the Dark

Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole

Aug 15, 10

bookshelves: pnr
Read from August 12 to 15, 2010

Demon from the Dark is the tenth book in the immense popular Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole. The series is popular for good reason: the combination of snarky heroines and brooding heroes makes for great entertainment. The stories are always engaging, funny and sizzling.
Despite the premise in all the books being the same (boy and girl realize they are fated mates and have to deal with that–the hard and sexy way) the stories never feel repetitive. Cole just always manages to give a new twist to each plot, coming up with something fresh and making her reader invest in her new couple.
It didn’t work for me this time.

Let me say: I feel guilty about giving it only 3 stars. But I just couldn’t round it up to a full 4, because that way the book would get the same rating as the books about the Wroth Brothers and the Woede. And frankly: those books were better than this one.
It’s hard to pinpoint an exact reason. Cole just seemed a little less inspired for this book. Even though the plot was original, it was rather silly and I had a hard time connecting with the characters, especially Carrow.

The good:
-The hero, Malkom Slaine, turned out to be one of Cole’s most interesting heroes. This ‘vemon’ with a tormented past and serious trust issues (I was getting a Zsadist vibe) was the epitome of a growling and overbearing man. He made Lachlain MacRieve seem like a pussy cat and that’s saying something. Needless to say I loved him.

-Carrow is incarcerated with a lot of other immortals and it was great to see so many familiar faces. Regin, Lothaire, Uilleam, Lanthe, Thronos… It seemed like a lot of further books being set up and it got me very curious (especially the itty bits we got concerning Regin, Lanthe and Nïx).

The ‘meh’:
-In the previous books, we caught a few glimpses of Carrow as Mariketa’s best friend with the party hardy attitude. This book we get to meet her up close and personal and learn that she’s actually really vulnerable and empty on the inside. It’s a lesson hard to miss because it pretty much gets shoved down our throat on every occasion.
Besides that, Cole used a little witch named Ruby as a less than subtle plot device to keep the pressure on Carrow whilst making her grow up fast. It was too much and the sentence “But I have someone to take care of now” got annoying after the twentieth time.

-Because of Malkom and the way the book started, I felt Cole could make this story really deep and dark. Sadly she lost focus along the way and did the worst thing imaginable: she turned up the sap-level! And this took the bite out of her usually feisty stories.

The bad:
-The gathering in the House of Witches, near the very end of the book, was a compilation of inconsistencies, out of character displays and plain silliness. I won’t go into detail as to not spoil anything, but: bleh!

All in all, Demon for the Dark was a case of: ‘almost but not quite’, for me.
Still: the book is entertaining (it’s Cole!) and left me wondering about the upcoming stories. I just hope I’ll like them more.
3,5 stars
31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon from the Dark.

Quotes Mel Liked

Kresley Cole
“Look, it's not you. It's me, and my inability to dig dirty dudes.”
Kresley Cole, Demon from the Dark

08/12/2010 page 1
0.0% "The Order?!?"
08/13/2010 page 41
11.0% "Wow! So many familair faces! Hey werewolf, beserker, arch fury, sorceress, vrekener and vampire!"
08/13/2010 page 254
66.0% "Oh. My. God. I can't wait for Regin's book!" 16 comments

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Right there with you. She's totally on my autobuy list for all times.

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I just finished Nicolai's and Cade's books yesterday. Loved them. Can't wait to buy Rydstroms but I'm waiting for my Paypal account to kick in :)

message 4: by Mel (last edited Feb 12, 2010 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Though I must say my favorite so far is Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick I know! I know! But I can't tell you till after you read Pleasure of a Dark Prince :)

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I was immediatly thinking: it's in the epilogue, it's in the epilogue! Oh oh oh, I think I'll be finished with it on Sunday :)

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Well.... not really, but kinda. There are what I believe to be hints to who the next 3 books are about. It can't be a coincidence that a trilogy comes out in the fall and there are 3 characters involved in the epilogue. And Cole has a list of possible characters for the trilogy, all 3 of which are in the epilogue.
One of them, we already know who their HEA is. Another, we are pretty certain about from the clues Cole has given. And another has been speculated about, not confirmed but not eliminated by Cole.
Does that make any sense? LOL

Send me a message when you finish it Mel!

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Waaaah I'll definitely will Jan!

message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Okay, what happened to the cover? It's the Marlboro look a like cover again.

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus Do we know who Reg HEA is????

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Regin's HEA is her berserker Aiden. Some people think he is Gamboa, the guy in Brazil that Myst (I think?) gave Regin's phone number too, but I'm not sure about that. I actually think we haven't met him yet.

Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus well the epoilogue has got me all impatient lol

I remember Gamboa .......... wasnt it Kaderin? When she had the race to finish and he was one of the prizes she had to get?!?

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh the cover is back! Although I think that this guy is a bit too buff...

Amanda So have we figured out who the characters are in this book i dont recall them being mentioned in previous series??

message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Jan and I think: Carrow & Rök.

*spoiler for the epilogue of Pleasure of a Dark Prince*

As the title suggests the hero or heroine should be a demon. None of the people in the epilogue of Pleasure of A Dark Prince are. Lothaire is a vampire, Regin a Valkyrie and Carrow a witch. So that means their possible HEA should be a demon.
Lothaire will most probably be paired with Nïx and Regin will be paired with her berserker, none of them demons.
So that leaves Carrow as the female lead and a demon as our hero. We only know two demons well: Dash and Rök. And I'm seeing Carrow being Rök's slimbo (or whatever the word was). So our money is on: Carrow & Rök.

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Well we were wrong Mel. Well, half wrong anyways. LOL.

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Darnit. And here I had a whole story with that theory!

Nichole (Dirrty H) Jan ~Phaythe~ wrote: "Well we were wrong Mel. Well, half wrong anyways. LOL."

Mel wrote: "Darnit. And here I had a whole story with that theory!"

Okay, how spoilerific would it really be for you guys to tell me what the hell you're talking about if I haven't read PoaDP yet?

Nichole (Dirrty H) Also, explain the trilogy thing. I just hunted KC's web site (hey, she has the same initials as Karen Chance! That's too confusing for the fangirls.) and I see mention of it but I couldn't find details.
Does this mean we will get three brand new, full length books in the series later this year??

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Nichole - Yes. 3 books back to back in the fall - end of August, September, and October.

In the epilogue of PoaDP, there are 3 characters mentioned. All three of those characters were on the list of possible heroes/heroines for the trilogy books. So, we suspect that the epilogue is KC giving us confirmation of those 3 characters.

Carrow is one of the epilogue characters, and it's been confirmed now that she is the heroine of Demon From The Dark. Mel and I were right about that part, but we got her hero wrong.

message 21: by Nichole (Dirrty H) (last edited Feb 23, 2010 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nichole (Dirrty H) Oh my god, that's the most amazing book news I've heard in ages (what with all my other favorite authors being pushed back to 2011.... pshh.) Can I do a happy dance?

I getcha now. So you guys thought Carrow's HEA would be Rok? I think Carrow and Rok are a little too... wild and crazy to be a good match for each other. They both need a partner that will ground them a little.

message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Judging by the blurb, Carrow's HEA will be doing more 'grinding' than 'grounding'. He doesn't seem very stable either. But hey: all the more fun! :)

Hehe, I had noticed the KC and KC before, too! I love both so I'm fine with it :D (sincerely, fangirl queen)

Nichole (Dirrty H) Mel wrote: "Judging by the blurb, Carrow's HEA will be doing more 'grinding' than 'grounding'."

LOL.
All hail the queen. ;)

message 24: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara I think that Regin's HEA was mentioned in Deep Kiss of Winter. There was a vampire named Rurik, the forebearer that was turned at the same time as the Wroth's on the battlefield, the one who thinks he may be descended from Beserkers... Could he be Regin's Berserker? Because then at least it would be much harder for him to die, plus she'd have to get past the whole Vampire Thing. But that's just a thought. There are bunch of characters I'd like to see stories about, beside Nix of course...

Lothaire- I want to know his deal and his favor is, and how he could trace into the Valkyrie house!

Deshazior- The Pirate Demon. You met him in Cade's book, Holly rubs his horns. Plus he offers himself to Daniella and he has a Swimbo.

Rok- Cade's former housemate, the one that disappears a lot- he so has a story!

Ulleam & Munro- the two werewolf twins. They've popped up in some books and really I can't get enough of the Scottish werewolves.

Kristoff- The King of the Forebearers- after reading that he seemed jealous of Murdoch, I feel like he has a story coming. What if his mate is Fury when she returns?

I have to wonder if Nix's story will be the end of the series since she plays a big part in everyone's story? Like she'd have a 700 page book where the first 300 pages we get to see the other side of some of Nix's more bizarre moments...

Nichole (Dirrty H) Tara wrote: "There was a vampire named Rurik, the forebearer that was turned at the same time as the Wroth's on the battlefield, the one who thinks he may be descended from Beserkers... Could he be Regin's Berserker? "

I too am very curious about Lothaire.
And Fury's the one who's stuck underwater, right? I'm pretty sure she's Kristoff's mate.

message 26: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Nichole wrote: "Smarty pants - I didn't even put that together. You could be right! How often did it say he came back around? Is Rurik young enough? "

:D

I can't remember how long it's been since he last showed up, but the Wroth's are pretty young (relatively speaking), so I think maybe it's possible... it's just a guess, but I like to believe that when things are said so casually, that maybe we're getting information for a reason... unfortunately, I'm often wrong.

Nichole (Dirrty H) Wait - wasn't there something about Sabine's (KoaDK) sister and Lothaire?

message 28: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Hmm, I don't remember that. I remember Melanthe (Sabine's sister) & Thronos (I can't remember what he was exactly but they had a long history and he was something with wings... I usually make little notes so I won't forget things, but I borrowed this from the library and finished it just in time to drop it off and get to work so I didn't write it down) Also in that book though, Lothaire gets Rydstrom to agree to a favor that he hasn't called in.

Nichole (Dirrty H) Right, the guy who keeps trying to kill her. Everyone else thinks he's her HEA and I was the only one who thought there was something between her and Lothaire. I remember now. :)
And oh yeah, that favor! Oh, that'll be big.

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick KC has confirmed that Kristoff is Fury's HEA, and their book will be the last in the series.

message 31: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Jan ~Phaythe~ wrote: "KC has confirmed that Kristoff is Fury's HEA, and their book will be the last in the series."

No Way! I NEVER guess things correctly!

message 32: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh, I'm liking the idea of Regin and Rurik. I was intrigued by Rurik as it is :D

I'm almost sure Lanthe is going to end up with Tronos. Seriously Nicole, wouldn't cool and detached Lothaire be perfect for nicking futs Nïx?

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick I'm pretty sure she's confirmed Lanthe and Thronos too. Cara and Michael are a confirmed pairing also.

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Here's what she had to say a few months back about possible characters for the upcoming books:

"Nix, Regin, Rok, Nix, Lothaire, Garreth and Lucia, Nix, Carrow, and the Lykae twins, and did I mention Nix?"

She also said at another point that her editor loves Lothaire and wants him in the trilogy.

Then on January 18, 2010, she said " Nïx's book is not going to be coming out for at least three more installments. Sorry for any undue lethal suspense!" and "Look for Lothaire to have his book in 2011"

That really makes me think again that Lothaire is Nix's HEA. She said both of those things on the same day in two different threads.

Her master plan includes books for the following: Alecta
Annika
Regin
Rok
Uilleam and Munro

message 35: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Jan ~Phaythe~ wrote: "I'm pretty sure she's confirmed Lanthe and Thronos too. Cara and Michael are a confirmed pairing also."

Wait who is Michael?

message 36: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Yeah, who is Michael?

message 37: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel And who was Cassandra again? And Cara was Fury's sister right?

message 38: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Oh and who is Alecta?

message 39: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara What is the little "added it" link next to our posts now? I'm afraid to click it...

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick Cara is Fury's sister. Michael is the human that Cara protects. There is something special about him, but we don't know what yet.

Alecta is the leader of the furies. She is called Alecta the Unyeilding One.

Cassandra is the female Lykae who wanted Lachlain for herself.

message 41: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Wow, I so don't remember the thing about Michael. What book was that mentioned in?

message 42: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel I don't recall him either. And where do you get all that info Jan.

Tara, the added link just means you've added this book to your TBR list. Goodreads now also shows how much everyone rated a book.

Jan Lewis, Author Sidekick I'm not sure they were actually in the book. I got it all from KC's forums, which I stalk... er I mean, like to look at. LOL

message 44: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel LOL. I don't do that. At all. Ward and Chance? Who?

Nichole (Dirrty H) You can also click on the "added it" or "gave it _ stars" and it will take you straight to that person's review.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know who any of those people were.
I started PoaDP last night and I love it already. Kresley Cole is my hero.

Matthew I usually like spoilers so I havn't even looked at the later books in the series to see who the nar's are, but I went ahead and clicked on this and read "half demon-vampire" in the synopsis and wow thats guna' be a fuckin cool read aye

Matthew Wow nix is getting a book? I do not want to assume, but I am going to guess the oldest valk seer who is nearly insane with godlike powers is going to have some inner turmoil and a hero who can silence the never ending visions.

message 48: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Nice review Mel :D
And its make me so impatient to read this book ^^

message 49: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Thanks Ren. And I guarantee you: the book will make you most impatient for Regin's book and for Lothaire's too (he's just damn sexy, IMHO).

message 50: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren I never take a look to Lothaire
Maybe because his appearance and the fact that he is the enemy
In KC Forum there are many speculation who is Lothaire mate, and the biggest possibilities is Nix

« previous 1