Auntee's Reviews > Men of Danger

Men of Danger by Lora Leigh

Apr 25, 10

bookshelves: anthologies-novellas, romantic-suspense, lora-leigh, 2010_reads
Recommended for: Fans of romantic suspense anthologies
Read from April 22 to 25, 2010

Four pretty hot romantic suspense stories, with varying degrees of heat, but all featuring alpha protectors...

Hannah's Luck by Lora Leigh is an offshoot of the book Wild Card and features 37-year-old widower Sheriff Rick Grayson. In "Wild Card", his faithless wife Sienna was involved with the Black Collar Militia--a white supremicist group that targeted Mexican illegal aliens. Rick feels all kinds of guilt that she played him and used info from his office to keep her group and its activities alive.

Rick's madly attracted to pretty 30-year-old divorced kindergarten teacher Hannah Brookes (who has no luck with men), but is wary about his feelings for her because of his wife's betrayal. He can't risk another relationship to go wrong, because he has a young son to think of.

But Hannah needs him--someone has broken into her house, and it may have something to do with him and their relationship. Perhaps all the members of the militia haven't been accounted for? Can Rick keep Hannah safe without letting his feelings get involved?

Hot little story, without the usual LL arguing between the H/h. Just some initial reluctance from the hero to get involved in a relationship beyond sex. Rick and Hannah were a likable couple, and they had some wonderful, hot chemistry. There was some suspense too as someone was determined to stop the relationship between Hannah and Rick. Maybe I wasn't paying attention too closely (or I make a lousy detective), but the identity of the culprit surprised me. The only thing wrong with this story was that it ended too soon, and wrapped up rather ubruptly. 4 1/2 stars

Reckless and Yours by Red Garnier is a passionate story between a handsome, 25-year-old Phoenix police detective, and his long lost teenage love who has been suffering from amnesia since her father (a judge) was brutally murdered 7 years ago. Will she remember the love they once shared? Will he be able to protect her from the person who murdered her father and now wants to see her die too?

I loved this hot little RS. I thought it would work very well as a full length novel, but it worked in this short story format too. I loved the characters of Paige and Zachary--they generated a lot of heat and longing, and I enjoyed their flashback scenes. Nice work by the author. 4 1/2 stars

Tempt Me by Alexis Grant is an African-American romance featuring a Whitney Houston-in 'The Bodyguard'-like rapper/R&B singer (Anita Brown) with an undeserved reputation as a "Queen B". She's got a leech-like family supposedly working security for her while taking advantage of her generosity, and a record company exec ex who she can't trust. She about to embark on a USO tour of the mid-East and hires a new security company for protection, since she's also being stalked.

Zachary Mitchell is the Delta Force soldier who's moonlighting for his ailing best buddy's security company and will be Anita's personal bodygurad. Zach's an honorable, good guy and sparks fly between him and Anita, even though they're worlds apart in social status. But Anita likes that Zach is an honorable gentleman who she can trust and talk to, and she's drawn to him. Will Zach be able to fight his feelings for the beautiful Anita, and keep their relationship all business?

Very interesting story, with some fine writing, a very likable hero, and some nice sexual tension. But this story had the worst, most abrupt ending that I've ever read. In fact, when I turned the last page I was stunned, and yelled out "That's it?" This book was crying out for an epilogue in the worst way, and for that I have to knock it down at least a half star. 3 1/2 stars

Love Me 'Til Death by Lorie O'Clare features feisty detective Ashley and not-by-the-book, sexy, FBI agent Chase working on a case to find out who's poisoning young women with a date rape drug. Does the prime suspect have some connection to Ashley? Will Ashley and Chase's combustible chemistry get in the way of solving the case?

This was a hot one, and it could easily have been developed into a full sized novel as well. I would have loved to read a little more background info about the characters of Ashley and Chase, because they had some smokin' hot chemistry. 4 stars

Four hot short stories, featuring 4 hot alphas and 4 feisty heroines, makes for 4 mostly satisfying reads. 4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men of Danger.

04/22/2010 page 1
04/23/2010 page 25
6.7% "Bonehead..." 5 comments
04/23/2010 page 88
23.59% "Finished LL's "Hannah's Luck"--it ended a bit too soon but I liked it."
04/24/2010 page 181
48.53% "Second story a very good RS..." 1 comment
04/25/2010 page 293
78.55% "What? That's it? Where's the rest of the story?" 3 comments
04/25/2010 page 373
100.0% "Last story was pretty hot."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathrynn Do you think this is part of her series?

Auntee With that title, sounds like it might be one of the (what's the name of the series spun off from the 'Tempting SEALs'?)

Kathrynn Ha! I drew the same blank when I asked the question. How funny. That's what I think, too. :-)

Kathrynn Elite Ops. Had to look on my shelves for it.

Kathrynn Have you read anything by the other two authors? I have not.

message 6: by Auntee (last edited Dec 06, 2009 12:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Auntee Nothing by Alexis Grant, and I read Pleasure Island by Lorie O'Clare (which was one crazy story) and have 7 more of her books in the TBR pile.:)

Kathrynn Crazy in a good way?

Auntee Kathrynn wrote: "Crazy in a good way? "

No, crazy weird!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Auntee wrote: "With that title, sounds like it might be one of the (what's the name of the series spun off from the 'Tempting SEALs'?)"

I'm pretty sure this is part of her new "The Wounded Heroes" series that started with Cooper's Fall in Real Men Last All Night. :)

Kathrynn Ah, interesting. Thanks for the info, Audball.

Auntee Thanks audball, that makes sense.:)

message 12: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review as always, Auntee. Hate the cover, though.

message 13: by Rossy (new) - added it

Rossy Fantastic review, Auntee!

Kathrynn I remember Sheriff Rick Grayson and his horrible wife! Neat that he got his own story. Wonder if this should be a .something in the series order?

OCD!:-)

The others sound neat, too, except the one with the awful ending.

May pick this one up. Thanks for the intel, Auntee.

message 15: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Nice review Auntee! This sounds like a good beach read (yes I am already looking forward to beach season!)

message 16: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Great review Auntee! May try and pick up a copy for when I'm in the mood for a great quick read:).

Auntee Thanks ladies!

This would make a great beach read, Melissa. The stories are short and you could probably knock each one off in an hour or so while you're getting some sun!

Kathrynn, don't know if this is a part of another short story series of hers, like that one in the other anthology Real Men Last All Night, or if it should be listed with the Elite Ops books...

Shawna Great review, Auntee! This sounds good! Is the Lorie O'Clare story okay as a stand alone 'cause I haven't read her previous FBI Sex Crimes books (Tall, Dark and Deadly, Long, Lean and Lethal, and Strong, Sleek and Sinful) yet.

message 19: by Kathrynn (last edited Apr 26, 2010 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrynn Me, either. I picked up this book today at Wally World. I'll check out Lora Leigh's website, later, and see where she put it. She's one of the best author's about giving series info on her site.

I know Cherry Adair's website won awards and it's very cool, but I have a difficult time FINDING useful information about her books with all the cosmetic bells and whistles.

:-)

Auntee Good question, Shawna. It worked for me as a stand alone, but now I'm wondering if it's connceted to that series (I haven't read any of them yet either). Could be?!

Shawna Thx, Auntee! :)

message 23: by Ragus (new) - added it

Ragus Nice review, Auntee! I normally stay away from anthologies, but I need LL's story and want to read something by Red Garnier. I'm tempted to get this one.

Auntee Thanks Shawna, Danielle, and Ragus.:)

Ragus, I thought it was worth the $$.:)

message 25: by Ragus (new) - added it

Ragus Thanks, Auntee. It's on my to-buy list!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Auntee! I've been eying this one for a week or so and today I got a B&N coupon so I think I'm going to get it!

Auntee UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Thanks, Auntee! I've been eying this one for a week or so and today I got a B&N coupon so I think I'm going to get it!"

Hope you enjoy it--it was a pretty good anthology.:)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick It's on hold for me as I type :) The B&N here is at the mall, and there's one of those roaming carnivals set up there right now, so I'm thinking of going on Monday to get it.

Auntee Ooh, a roaming carnival = a sea of humanity!:)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick LOLOL Crazy Carnies is what I call them. You're clearly a kinder person than I.