Debbie Blane's Reviews > Real Sex: The Naked Truth about Chastity

Real Sex by Lauren F. Winner

Nov 19, 09

I finished this book tonight. I had previously read Lauren Winner's Girl Meets God and found that book a tremendous read so I wanted to read some of her others.

Real Sex is well written and solidly based in Biblical principles and good theology while dealing with the very real issues that people in modern America face every day. What I take from this book is that chastity is a way of being as a Christian and that married or not we practice the disciplines of being in community while being first in relationship with God. All of us face the tensions of living our lives differently once we have chosen to live a Biblically based life. Whether we are dealing with boredom in marital sex or the frustrations of unfilled longings in singleness we are all learning how to live our lives in a new way through spiritual practices that entail disciplining our human wants.

One of the premises of the book is that premarital sex is flirty, exciting and sets an unrealistic expectation of married sexual relations that become a product of familiarity and trust.

The book is not preachy and it doesn't give rules. She gives an an interesting and worthwhile perspective on a hot-button topic in American culture and society.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Sex.