Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"'s Reviews > For the Sake of the Vine

Dec 30, 2014

it was ok
Recommended to Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" by: B&N Book Club
Read in November, 2009

I'm not sure what I really think about this book. I wouldn't say I liked it. But, it isn't badly written.

Okay - from the beginning - I read this book since it is my book club's choice for November. I was actually looking forward to it since it was set in Prosser, Washington (just a short drive from my home town of Kennewick). It is set in a winery and the blurb on the back made me think of those cozy mysteries where bodies just end up in strange places.

It wasn't like that at all. In many ways you felt it was written for a fairly immature crowd - not juvenile, though. There is a lot in this book for more conservative people to take offense at. It made me quite uncomfortable at times. (I'm dreading hearing some of the comments at the book club meeting - I live in a pretty conservative area.)

On the plus side, it turned out to be quite a gothic tale complete with secret underground passages, enigmatic servants, and a mysterious legacy from a dead relative. That was enjoyable.

It could have more fleshed out characters, maybe even likable ones. Also, I didn't feel it needed to be quite that salacious. I had the impression that most of the characters would've felt right at home on the Jerry Springer show!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For the Sake of the Vine.

11/19/2009 page 114