Alyn's Reviews > Patterns of Home: The Ten Essentials of Enduring Design

Patterns of Home by Max   Jacobson

Nov 19, 09

bookshelves: architecture
Read in June, 2010

I had this book for 12 weeks, 2 separate library checkouts including maximum renewals, before finally slogging through all the text. But the pictures are pretty, of course.

The concepts were very familiar to me, perhaps because these authors wrote one of the classic architecture books back in the day "a pattern language". I would've enjoyed a greater quantity of specific examples, but I understand that too many details might get confusing to the average armchair architect.

This book was less repetitive then some "pretty" architecture books. The text contained more substance than usual. But I'm still left wondering how to implement the concepts in a budget dream house!

It left me with the feeling that these authors were showing off many of their projects. And gave me a vague longing to renew my former dream of becoming an architect, for the opportunity to create so many amazing spaces.

I took notes, but I'm left wondering which concepts and ideas would be most important to incorporate into my hypothetical dream house.

I appreciate that some of the powerful concepts from "A Pattern Language" are here demonstrated in full color, living reality. Somehow it has a greater impact than black line drawings...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patterns of Home.