Kathrynn's Reviews > Skin Game

Skin Game by Ava Gray

Dec 14, 09

bookshelves: romance-suspense, theme-hint_of_mystical, own, series-skin_gray, 2009, hot, reviewed, theme-assassin, theme-catch_a_thief, theme-psychic_abilities
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Shawna Razzaz
Recommended for: Fans of Romantic Suspense
Read from December 12 to 14, 2009

Great characters and super plot made Skin Game a pleasure to read. The setting ranged from Las Vegas, Texas, New Mexico, South Dakota and a few other stops (Louisiana). Initially, I felt the author was geographically challenged. It was odd, but I re-read it and from Las Vegas to Louisiana, then to Texas and New Mexico. That would have worked had they come from Atlantic City, so who knows what happened. Other than that, nice writing, fast moving plot--until the end that was bogged down with mundane details that dropped this from a 5 to 4 star read for me.

Kyra Marie Beckwith had a psychic ability and was on a mission of revenge against a mob-type-wannabe casino owner in Las Vegas. Reyes (Porfirio Ten-Bears Reyes) was the hitman hired to kill Kyra, but when he partners with her as she travels (runs and hides), he discovers her talent, that she's not what he was told, and the sparks ignite.

Reyes' character reminded me of Anne Stuart's bad boys in her Ice series, but he wasn't ever mean to Kyra. He was a mean person, but melted for Kyra. As they grew closer he realized he had to tell her the truth....

When angry casino owner realizes his hitman quit, he hires another. They know they'll never be safe until they deal with the guy and their hand is forced when they learn Kyra's best friend, Mia Sauter, has gone to Las Vegas to find her.

Lots of action, tender moments and I enjoyed how the author GRADUALLY introduced new characters throughout the story in lieu of slamming lots of characters at the beginning. Thank you for that!

All the detailed descriptions of the assorted cheap motels was, uh, interesting. Gross!

Mia Sauter is introduced on page 123 when she meets Addison Foster. Both are the main characters in the next book in this series that I'm looking forward to reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Game.

12/12/2009 page 96
30.0% "Pretty good." 3 comments
12/14/2009 page 294
91.88% "Enjoyed it, but the ending dragged out unnecessarily leaving me feeling "blechy" about the whole book."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina "Initially, I felt the author was geographically challenged."

LOL! Great review, Kathrynn! I'm not going to start any new series for a while, but I'm keeping this book in mind for later. :)

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review K!

Kathrynn Dina, I'm having those same thoughts on starting another series. Trying to keep up with them is getting overwhelming. :-(

Thank you, T!