David's Reviews > Student Bible New International Version

Student Bible New International Version by Anonymous

Nov 19, 09

Although the King James authorised version is the most poetic it is something of a plod at times, and I found this one with its explanatory notes and easy-to-read text a lot more elucidating in terms of what's going on. I have to admit that what drew me to it in the shop two years ago was the recommendations by Melvyn Bragg and David Suchet, who I admire as writers and broadcasters. Suchet, a leading Shakesperean actor, tells how a few years ago he was lying in his bath in a hotel in America, when he had a sudden and impulsive desire to read the Bible. 'From somewhere I got this desire to read the Bible again. That's the most important part of my conversion... In the New Testament I suddenly discovered the way that life should be followed.'

I myself came to it from reading about the European Reformation and suddenly realising that the central book of those times, the one constantly being quoted and sifted through, was the one book I myself had never read from cover to cover. I got bogged down a bit in Numbers and Deuteronomy, but the rest was, to coin a phrase, a revelation, and I do consider myself to be a Christian, though hardly a good one. There is, as my teachers used to tell me, 'much room for improvement'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Student Bible New International Version.