Ken-ichi's Reviews > The Sandman: The Dream Hunters

The Sandman by P. Craig Russell

Jun 29, 10

bookshelves: comics, escape, japan
Read on June 29, 2010

While Gaiman's story is beautiful, Russel's line work was a disappointment, much like his story in The Sandman: Endless Nights. I find this baffling, because "Ramadan, " the story he illustrated in The Sandman Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections, might be one of my favorite single comics ever, in large part due to the art. One contributing factor is that I don't like the way Russell draws big things. He's a genius at tiny details, the leaves of a tree, the patterns in a kimono, the innumerable spires of Bagdad or the countless djinn in a bottle, but facial close-ups and figures never seem to come off well. Overall the style of the artwork suggested a westerner trying to ape several styles of Japanese art without success.

If you're considering this, I'd say skip it and check out the original illustrated prose by Gaiman and the unspeakably cool Japanese illustrator Yoshitaka Amano: The Sandman: The Dream Hunters. Like the best Sandman episodes (including Ramadan), Amano's art will bend your mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman.