Lindy Jones's Reviews > Meridon

Meridon by Philippa Gregory

Nov 18, 09

Read in November, 2009

Philippa Gregory writes absolutely brilliant historical fiction, but this was not one of her best. Gregory is far more comfortable during the Tudor years, and it shows. It is very obvious, especially to a rabid Georgette Heyer fan like me, that she must have read quite a bit of Heyer before writing this book. Names, characterizations, and other details (like Meridon donning mens clothing all the time) were obviously borrowed from Heyer.
On a positive note, when Meridon is poor and working as a bare-back rider, (the first two hundred pages)I was hooked. The circus portions were fascinating since I had just finished another book about circuses, Water for Elephants. After Meridon arrives at Wideacre, though, I quickly lost interest, and had to convince myself to finish it. Also, there were a couple of historical details that were not quite accurate. During 1805, gypsies still slept in bender-tents when they camped . . . And men did not wear powder and patches during 1805 (they went out of vogue years before and had their final death knell with the taxes on powder in the 1790s!)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meridon.

message 1: by Ally (new) - rated it 1 star

Ally About to read book 3 in the trilogy. SO glad someone else misses Georgette Heyer's wit and her Regency period charm in these books though

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I agree completely with this review. I was hooked when Meridon was still in the circus, but once she went to Wideacre I lost interest completely.

Barbara Keune The third book of this trilogy seemed to drag for me especially after she moved into the Haverings. I wasn't enthralled with the London Season at all.